Notices

hello I am a closet drunk and a binge drinker

Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello I am a closet drunk and a binge drinker

I have a question about withdrawal syndrome I am out of town 5 days a week and I stay sober the whole 5 days but Friday night 830 at night to Monday 330 in the afternoon drinking vodka until I pass out wake back up start over.I feel like crap Tuesday and Wednesday start feeling better Thursday and Friday then I start all over so am I going through withdrawal symptoms every week ? I have been sneaking around here for the last 2 days and you already have helped me It going to need a lot more I also am a diabetic so I shouldn't be drinking anyway Thanks. Hippy
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey hippy, welcome, any hangover is technically withdrawal so I guess the answer is yes. Glad you joined us!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,Hippy.

I used to do the same thing with vodka. Except I would drink during the weekday at night. And then binge bad on the weekends.
Chances are you are going through some withdrawal during the week while you're not drinking.It could be night sweats,insomnia or just an occasional headache.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! As a diabetic you know you shouldn't be drinking. You'll find a lot of support here. I hope we can help you to stop drinking for good.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Fish - You probably are going through withdrawal symptoms when you are not drinking. I drank a lot like you. I drank vodka 2.5 days a week non stop (morning, noon, and night) and than I would stop for 4.5 days only to repeat the same insane cycle. I would feel like crap for 2 days only to feel better by the time Friday rolled around so I would drink again. The drinking eventually starting consuming me instead of me consuming it and I knew at that point I finally had to stop. If you want sobriety, you are going to have to commit yourself to it as it isn't easy, but it is worth it.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I was a binge drinker like that as well. And I read that with mini-stints at sobriety (like those 5 days in between) it's actually WORSE on your body and cells than if you drink around the clock. Makes every subsequent try even harder because of kindling. That when I realized that I was slowly killing myself, and realized that since I don't want to drink around the clock, I best get my butt in gear and quit once and for all.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You'll feel a million times better if you stop doing that.

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi FishnHippy, fellow weekend binge drinker here. It took me about three weekends of sobriety to figure out what binge drinking was doing to my body. I thought that when I woke up on "remorseful Sunday" that all that I had going on was a bad hangover. Then, around "maybe it wasn't really that bad Wednesday" I'd start feeling better (or so I thought) and then "who gives a crap, I'm drinking Friday" would come along and the process would start over again.

After the third weekend of not drinking I was amazed and pleasantly surprised at the difference in how I felt. Previously, when I thought I had recovered by Wednesday I really hadn't. The detox effects were just starting to wear off by then and even though I thought I was, I was nowhere near back to new on Friday. I was killing myself.

Almost 4 months sober now and loving it!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you are here
Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, FishnHippie!!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR Fish Hippy

I was a closet drunk and a binge drinker too and yes, I basically went through withdrawal symptoms every week too.
Do you have a plan for your recovery?
As a starter I would recommend that you join the Class of September. You will get tremendous support from your peers who quit drinking at the same time than you http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-10.html
I also hope you will join us in the 24 hours club. It is a fun way to hold ourselves accountable by pledging not to drink or us for the next 24 hours. Deeker does an amazing job facilitating the thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...join-us-5.html