Notices

New and Scared

Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Scared

Hello all,
I am very happy that I found this place. I am 31 years old and have been drinking since I was 18. For the past year though I have been drinking excessively. 12 to 18 beers from morning to night until I pass out. The last year was very hard on me from personal issues. No excuse, I know, but I went crazy on the drinking just to forget it. I started to have pain under my right rib so I went to the ER. They kept me for two days and in the end said I had a fatty liver. I didn’t drink for two days when I got home and then started again. I can’t seem to stop. Before this happened I was diagnosed with Anxiety, OCD, and depression. I was given Xanax, Prozac, and anything else to stop it but the only thing that helped was alcohol. However, it turned into a vicious cycle. (Hair of the dog.) I am terrified about my health and am not sure what to do. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Ariel

Sorry but it's not clear to me - are you still drinking? (not trying to beat you up, just confused )

seeing a Dr can often be a good first stop...I'd also encourage you to read around and post here as much as you like - you'll meet a lot of people and see a lot of different methods in action

join our Class of September thread if you like- it's for everyone who's quitting this month

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-4.html

D
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
xuse

Did they not recommend an impatient detox ?I'm confused too at why they would send you home with all them mess and no detox ect.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
xuse

Meds sorry not mess
Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Alcohol may work well for you in the short term,but very destructive in the long.
Benzos can cause big problems with withdrawal if taken for too long.
As for anti/deps, over all, these may be the most promising.
Thought of a non alcohol support group?
As Dee suggests it's best to seek professional advice re all medications.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee74:

The stay in the hospital was inpatient detox and I left feeling great. But two days later I went right back to drinking. Yes, I am still drinking and that was two weeks ago.

Xuse:

The only meds they gave me was Librium for withdrawal. The benzos I was taking before I started drinking. They were given to me about a year ago but nothing helped but alcohol, that's when I got really addicted. I am not currently on any medication.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So Ariel first welcome second you need to get a plan together. If you rhink you need a medical detox again put a call into your Dr. you are goung to need support and SR is great for that. Post here share and read. You can attribute alot and learn alot too. Let today be your day 1. 9/10/13 sounds very nice
Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AmandaUK

Many of us go straight back to drinking after a detox. I know I did. But what made the difference for me the last time is that I made arrangements for support afterwards. It's not the physical dependency that keeps us here, it's the psychological. The physical can be sorted within a relatively short period of detox but it's the stuff in our heads that makes us drink again. See if there are some support groups in your area, not just for alcoholics but maybe to help with confidence or grief or whatever you think might help you stay focused. Find them online or in the phone book, make a list, get as prepared as you can be under the circumstances. Then ask for a detox again. The Dr is bound to ask why he should give you a detox again after what happened before but this time you can go armed with your support list and tell him you won't be alone this time. Hopefully it will make a difference. X
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ariel, I hope you decide to stop drinking.

It's probably a very good idea to talk to your dr about the fatty liver issue and to get his okay before you begin to detox again. Please know that you can do this.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your support. The worst part is that my fiancé drinks, and all of my friends which makes it so much harder to abstain from it. Yes I think a support group is a great idea, thank you Is there any way to detox from home?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ariel - Advice. Spend some time here reading, reading. If you feel like drinking, post instead. And take it one day at a time. God bless
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AmandaUK

You can detox from home but it's best to get medical advice and someone to help you. There is always a chance of adverse physical effects if you just stop after a long period of heavy drinking (such as fits) so if you're particularly worried, chat with your doctor first and see what he recommends.
Other than that, stay strong... You can do it!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i wouldnt recommend detoxing at home.
I did and the result was a hospital visit in the long run.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a very bad home detox.
The best thing is to see your Dr Ariel - get some professional advice.

D
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How is it possible to quit drinking when your spouse still does? I mean, it has been impossible since he refuses to quit with me since he doesn't think he has a "problem". So it is right in front of my face every night. I do not have that kind of self control. Can anyone relate?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am new and scared too. I'm 38 been drinking since college years and finally want to stop because of the personal problems it causes. I'm sure I'm not in perfect healt mentally or physically either but all I can say is take care of you. Ive also had some hardships over past couple years and used al alcohol to cope. We are going to have to face those things yet. Be strong.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i can relate! Struggling with the same thing. My boyfriend wants me to get help but isn't sire he can support me enough and he feels he should still b able to enjoy the drink because he doesn't have the problem. I'm hopeful he will realize how I'm putting an effort forth and perhaps want to put forth the effort too...especially because he doesn't have a problem. He's pointed out how he can refrain from it even when its there. I just want him to refrain when its not in front of him. I don't know if that makes sense??
Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My husband doesn't have a drinking problem and continues to drink even though ive given it up. I don't expect him to either. He doesn't drink right in front of me but it is around every night. Doesn't bother me though.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ariel22 View Post
How is it possible to quit drinking when your spouse still does? I mean, it has been impossible since he refuses to quit with me since he doesn't think he has a "problem". So it is right in front of my face every night. I do not have that kind of self control. Can anyone relate?
A lot of members here have spouses or partners who still drink. It's tough, but it need not be a dealbreaker, Ariel.

Have you tried to explain what it's like for you when he still drinks in front of you?

What kind of support do you have outside SR?
More sober support might help you to deal with the situation?

D
Old 09-19-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariel22 View Post
I can't do it. My friend drinks but we don't live together and if I visit she only has one beer per night, and not in front of me. She used to drink wine in front of me and I failed repeatedly. So I told her my sobriety was more important and if she wanted to continue to see me that's the way it would have to be. She understands now. I think anyone who drinks in front of someone who is struggling to maintain sobriety is very selfish and perhaps addicted themselves.