SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Morning Drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/307010-morning-drinking.html)

GreekGuy 09-09-2013 06:10 PM

Morning Drinking

Hey everyone. I was just curious if people who used to drink would drink in the AM when they woke up like I used to do. I couldn't wait for the liquor store to open at 10:00am, I would be annoyed if I didn't have it before I could even get to the store. I would be drunk from morning to night. I'm not sure how people didn't notice, or maybe they did? Anyone else?

LDT 09-09-2013 06:20 PM

At the end of my spiral, drinking at 10:00 a.m. Would have been late for me. I often frequented the 24 hour super store at 3:30 a.m. Those were my most shameful moments. Very grateful to be passed that.

GreekGuy 09-09-2013 06:24 PM

Thank God we don't have 24 hour liquor stores in NYC as far as I know. They close the latest 11 or 10pm so I had to make sure to have enough. LOL... I'm glad I'm not drinking at all but exspecially in the morning. Doesn't exactly make it for good job hunting abilities...!

Dee74 09-09-2013 06:24 PM

I drank from the moment I woke up until I passed out.
I tried to have some in reserve for those hours before 10 am and didn't handle it too well if I ran out.

D

IWillWin 09-09-2013 06:46 PM

I loved drinking in the morning. It was fun. Then it was not.

I cannot even imagine how many weekends I spent in a perpetual state of buzz from 7am until I passed out, got up and drank again.

Yeah - been there, done that and totally grateful I never have to do it again.

Ugh. The thought makes me shiver...

Hevyn 09-09-2013 07:13 PM

Towards the end of my drinking career it was never out of my system. When I went to bed I kept one nearby to sip on if I woke up shaking - & to put myself back to sleep. So yes, GreekGuy I drank morning, noon & night. I win. :)

Seriously, I am also grateful I never have to go there again. It is heaven to be free.

GreekGuy 09-09-2013 07:25 PM

Yeah, that was the worst part. Having to take a drink so that you don't feel bad from withdrawl. How many times I started feeling bad and would say to myself just one shot to make me feel better, of course after that is was the whole pint with maybe 2 hours...

SweatyHands 09-09-2013 07:40 PM

Before the final decline, I drank beer in the morning and just enough to not get sick. Then when I started working mornings I had to get the alcohol in my system more efficiently so I started with several mouthfuls of vodka in the shower. But, as we all know, the more you use the more you need.

foolsgold66 09-09-2013 07:44 PM

Morning, evening, afternoon, wake up and drink in the middle of the night, you name it. I was medicating against the affect of alcohol with alcohol. Circle of death.

GreekGuy 09-09-2013 07:45 PM

Didn't work find out you were drinking? I don't think the shower would have hid the smell of booze?

lorelei 09-09-2013 07:49 PM

must admit I was never a morning drinker, but there were days I was so drunk from the night before I didn't need to drink again till 3/4pm..... so I wasn't really an alcoholic if I didnt drink in the morning was I?

wrong!

Dee74 09-09-2013 07:51 PM

I was self-employed/not working, which I guess in one way was good for everyone else cos I STANK.

D

ZeldaFan 09-09-2013 08:11 PM

I never drank in the morning on days I had to work but weekends and days off I would start as soon as I got out of bed. I used to get myself buzzed and then make breakfast. Then drink more until I needed a nap. Then get up and drink more and more until I passed out for the night. I always made sure to leave a little vodka in the bottle the night before to get me my buzz first thing before heading out for more. What a waste of a day those were!

ACT10Npack 09-09-2013 08:33 PM

Would drink in the morning to help the hangover.

SoberChristy 09-09-2013 08:33 PM

Sadly, yes I have had a drink or two in the morning. And even before work, which for me is EARLY. I have to be on a train before 7am. Not my finest hours.

Mountainmanbob 09-09-2013 09:02 PM

yes I drank in the morning

Originally Posted by GreekGuy (Post 4171123)

I couldn't wait for the liquor store to open at 10:00am

retired now
but
back when I worked and drank
I would get up at around 4:00am so as to get ready for work
in the shower on those early mornings
I usually drank two tall cans of Bud
more like guzzled two tall cans

just a starter for my long drinking day

note
usually hard to drive home from work (several DUI's)

Mountainman

TexasMichael 09-09-2013 09:08 PM

Can't buy beer in Texas before noon on Sunday. Was always a mad rush to make sure I had enough to last thru Saturday night until noon Sunday. More than once I would finish my last beer early Sunday morning and then be in the check-out line at the grocery store with more beer at 12 noon Sunday.

xuse 09-09-2013 10:21 PM

Didnt drink in the morning but woke up still drunk a lot.

SweatyHands 09-09-2013 10:28 PM

During benders, leaving a double of something strong on my nightstand for morning recovery was an absolute necessity. I also had a quart of liquor hidden in my nightstand so I could be at my best before I crawled downstairs in the morning.

GreekGuy 09-09-2013 10:47 PM

What is amazing to me is how quickly a shot of booze will hit your system and make you feel better almost instantly. Not sure if it does hit that quickly or if mentally you know you just took your shot and can sit back and relax till it feels good.