Notices

Day 1

Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Well yesterday I overindulged and behaved like a fool. It's been a periodic recurring trend for me where I control my drinking well enough to where I don't think I need to quit for good. Then I'll have a big binge and feel like an idiot and quit for a couple weeks, then tell myself that I was able to quit for 2 weeks so I clearly don't have a problem.
That follows by being on my best behavior for 5-6 months of drinking "moderately" (no more than 3-4). Then inevitably will have an excuse to start drinking early and lose control at some point.
After these binges in the past I've looked on your forum, but never was registered.
I'm just hoping to get and give some support from and to others in my same situation!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

What is your goal?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had the same experience and now I am going to try to REALLY quit - my efforts before have been rather half-hearted, and I have done the same thing as you - figured I didn't have a problem because I could abstain for awhile. I am missing work today because I overindulged yesterday, and I am finally realizing that I need to not indulge at all. I have already been drinking much less since my divorce than I had before, but it isn't enough and alcohol is still having a negative effect on my life.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome lastcallsunday

SR really helped me focus and help me accept I really did have a problem. I know we can help you too - and give you a few ideas as well.

do you have any kind of a plan, yourself?

D
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome! The goal for myself is to become 100% sober in the short term.
Longer term I want to be completely comfortable with it and not feeling deprived. I want to get back to healthy pursuits. Going to the gym instead of drinking and actually being happy doing that.
If I get there, I'll be stoked!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, lastcall and StPat. I found SR 15 days ago and I have not had a drink since then - my longest period of sobriety in 20+ years. Whenever I have the urge to drink, I come here if possible. The support that I have received here has been amazing. I hope you will both post often. The chat room is also very helpful for providing instant support and feedback. I wish you both the best of luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Lastcall - I will share my biggest mistake in the previous times I quit was always thinking that I'll be able to get to a point where I can drink again normally after some undetermined planned period of total abstinence. I think one has crossed a certain line with alcohol, there is no "normal" whether it's tomorrow, or 20 years from now. I'm only on day 2 myself at this point!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome lastcall. We're so glad you joined us.

I did the same thing for years - kept playing with it until it was too dangerous for me to take a chance. I could never be sure how things would end up if I had 'a few'. I had to stop all together. I'm glad you're taking an honest look at what it's doing to you.