Notices

Back again

Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Well I've been to rehab, been in and out of AA and have currently been fighting myself out of being a repeat offender of relapsing over and over again. This is the first longer string of days that I have been able to put together in months and I have to say I'm finally starting to feel better after 12days straight of sobriety.

I have a sponsor and and go to AA. Personally I need some sort of structure like AA because I like to lie to myself that I don't have a problem OR tell myself that I will be all alone if I stay sober. AA helps counter that when I see all the people in the rooms and hear their stories.

Just as a heads up, going back out is the same. It can either be miserable right away or be fun until it's miserable which only takes a very short amount of time, in case anyone with substantial time was wondering. All I have to say is drinking never made anything better and it still doesn't. Drinking makes me crazy.

Here's to hoping that I can stick to the program and keep sober this time. I really don't want to go back out there again. It's difficult to realize that this is a life or death situation.

Good luck to all that are struggling and congrats to all the others that are counting days, months and years. Keep on, keeping on!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All the best to you Janis from a newcomer - 15 days here. It is a struggle but I agree with every word you say about the futility and dead end that is drinking. Pointless idiocy really.

Tonight I was at an AA meeting - a good one too - and listening to some of the people who have been sober for months and years and who have turned their lives into something worthwhile and positive was a real inspiration.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do it. If you have the motivation to get and stay sober, you can do it.

Congratulations on 12 days sober.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a chronic relapser, too. It took me many attempts to quit.
I'm really happy to hear you're on day twelve. Just remember, if you don't pick up that first drink, you won't get drunk.
Also, thanks for doing the research for me. Somtimes I still wonder, after two years eight months, what it's li 'out there'.

Keep it up and best to you.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. They make me feel hopeful and I'm really trying to put in the work to stay sober. I feel like the big book says with trying to cure a headache with a hammer. That's what drinking was for me.

I'm onto day 13. I woke up early, cooked lunch for my roommate and I, gave my dad's cat his medicine which he hates, took him back to my dad's house this morning so I can get him to the vet after work then drove to work and was early. I did this without resentment which is one of the beauties of sobriety. If I was drinking I don't even know if I could've done all that before 7am and if I did force myself to then I would be angry, resentful and miserable. I'm grateful for today and being sober.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Janis and congrats on your 13 days.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Janis - congrats on 13 days

D