Notices

Uncomfortable Situation

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Uncomfortable Situation

Is anyone here in a relationship with someone who drinks? While I don't have a problem with her enjoying a glass of wine or 2, I'm struggling with seeing her in that state.. I won't get into too many details here but I would like to speak with others in this situation to try and find a way to manage my reactions.

Thank you!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There is a forum here dedicated to just what you are asking ( family and friends of alcoholics ). Care to explain a little more about "managing your reactions'? It's a little unclear exactly what you are asking for help with.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There is a forum here dedicated to just what you are asking ( family and friends of alcoholics ). Care to explain a little more about "managing your reactions'? It's a little unclear exactly what you are asking for help with.
Would you be able to provide the link that forum? I'll see if I can find it..
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Here is the link: Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I understand, personally. My husband drinks. It is hard to see others drunk when you are trying to get and stay sober.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am with earthsteps, my husband gets drunk while I work to remain sober. Day 63 now. I look at him and am just glad I am not joining him. Alcohol is his first love, and I guess I am his second. Alcohol used to be my first love too, so I can't be mad. I remind myself, this is not about him, it is about me. Good luck, and keep on keeping on.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks! I'll check out that forum. Her first love is not alcohol but I am struggling to watch her after she's had a drink or two. Maybe it's just me reflecting on how I must have looked / acted when I drank that upsets me.. I'm not sure.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I have definitely thought - damn, did I look like that? Do that? Say that? It it hard to look back and realize that I did all of it and more.

It's common also to feel resentful, do you find that you have those feelings?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
I have definitely thought - damn, did I look like that? Do that? Say that? It it hard to look back and realize that I did all of it and more.

It's common also to feel resentful, do you find that you have those feelings?
That is EXACTLY what I think! I was 10x worse than her so I beat myself up more..
Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Phoenix, My boyfriend still drinks occassionally, but he drinks beer and my drink was wine, if he drank wine in front of me (very often) I would be struggling with it too. I don't like the taste of beer so that does not tempt me as much. I was recently at a party where everyone (except me) was drinking. I was dreading going at first, but found that afterwards, I still had fun, laughed, etc. and I was so happy when I left that I was driving home sober and did not have to worry about the bed spinning and a hangover. Sorry, that was kind of a sidebar, but congrats on your sobriety.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BriteBabyBlue View Post
Phoenix, My boyfriend still drinks occassionally, but he drinks beer and my drink was wine, if he drank wine in front of me (very often) I would be struggling with it too. I don't like the taste of beer so that does not tempt me as much. I was recently at a party where everyone (except me) was drinking. I was dreading going at first, but found that afterwards, I still had fun, laughed, etc. and I was so happy when I left that I was driving home sober and did not have to worry about the bed spinning and a hangover. Sorry, that was kind of a sidebar, but congrats on your sobriety.
Congrats Brit! I can relate to the feeling of happiness you felt.. I'm feeling that more and more and I love it!