Notices

Trying to quit...having problems.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well....it's Friday. It's only 10:45 in the morning and I'm at work and already getting the urge to drink tonight. It's not really an "urge" so much as I can't stop thinking about it. I keep telling myself that I'm not going to drink tonight, but that's making me think about it even more. It's all I've ever done on Friday nights. If I could just get the whole drinking thing out of my head, I think I'd be alot better off right now.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Make a plan to do something else, something that you wouldn't normally do on a Friday night. Shake up your routine.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dear Anon, welcome. I understand everything you said. I felt that way too. I believe the answer is no alcohol at all. Even one sip would send me off. Alcohol is progressive. I started out as a bingedrinker too. That's the reason I had to quit. It became more and more. It became a primary focus of my day. Thinking about when I would drink, when I would go buy more and drinking until I passed out. Acceptance is the key. Accept that you cannot drink at all. It is very freeing. To not have to make the decisions, when, where and how much. You can do this. Make a different plan for Friday night. And stick to it. Sobriety is a healthy way to live. You quit for 30 days. You have proven you can do it. Early sobriety is hard. But it gets easier. Keep going. You will get to the easier part.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, I made it through the first weekend!! I know it's only Sunday, but I only drink on Friday and Saturday, so I'll be OK today. It was definitely not easy. Yesterday was the hardest. My brother was having a party and all my friends were going. They kept calling me trying to get me to go. I wanted to go so bad, but I knew I would drink if I did. So I had to miss it. Eventually, I just stopped answering my phone. So glad I did. I explained to them that I wasn't drinking and they were all a little......I don't know, disappointed? Angry? I don't know. I think they are just afraid they are going to lose me as a friend. I'm afraid of that too. I think I'm going to miss them too. That's one of the hard things about all of this. But I have to do this for myself, no matter what. I think eventually one day I'll be able to hang out with them without drinking, but definitely not yet.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone on here for your continued support. It really helps a lot. Every time I got the urge this weekend,, I came on here and re-read all your comments and that got me through it. Thanks again everybody.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Shg

Exact same situation

I am in the exact situation as you. Weekend binge drinker trying to get through the first weekend and dealing with family get togethers with alcohol. Congrats on making it through Friday and Saturday. Let's the both of us not let our guard down for next weekend. The weekends and associated habits come fast and sneak up on us. You post and the replies helped me, too!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

well done anon first weekend done
Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Damn it. I relapsed. :-( I was doing so good, I thought I could handle going out 1 night and try to control it. I met some friends at the bar and was doing OK...I had a few and then switched to water. And then I don't know what happened. It just got away from me. I ended up staying out all night and ended up passing out on a friend's couch and woke up at 8:00 in the morning. I feel so depressed. My wife wants to throw me out, and I can't really blame her. Damn it, everything was going so well. Can anybody give me any advise? I would be really grateful.