Notices

So easy to forget..

Old 09-08-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So easy to forget..

This evening, for the first time in two weeks I felt a stirring of cravings. I have not had the best of days and I was obsessively worrying (mostly about health for some reason..). So this evening I started the thing in my head about how relaxing it would be, how all my worries would vanish and I would not have a care in the world, with just a few glasses of wine inside me..

..forgetting for that moment, the hangovers, the jitters, the mind melting anxiety, the guilt, the fear, the diarrhoea!,..the life that isn't really living at all.

I didn't cave in and I don't intend to, but it struck me that that 'addictive voice', if you subscribe to that way of looking at it, is incredibly subtle and appears to have the power to make you forget how bad things really were when under the sway of addictive drinking!

A reminder to myself!..and anyone else who might find it useful!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great reminder mentium x

I have a list on my notice board, of reasons why I don't drink, how it makes me feel about myself and life and all the negatives about it. When I'm weak, I read it and it reminds me how bad I felt and how the high is very temporary and if I can ride it out i don't have to feel like that again. Lx
Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Yeah it never shows you the bad when those thoughts come up. It is probably natural for our brains to suppress bad memories.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go Mentium. Well done.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Mentium, FANTASTIC. Palying the tape all the way through is my major weapon to ward of the cravings. Rootin for ya.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really good that you recognised this as unhelpful thought processes - you will probably notice that voice a lot more now that your tuned in and know exactly what it is... It's not you it's your addictive voice talking.

Every time you have such a thought - question it - nine out of ten times it will be the most ridiculous reasons that voice conjures up. Laughable even.

Well done kicking its @ss!