Notices

Kicked the beast down aisle 9

Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Kicked the beast down aisle 9

So, I have been on my journey now for 5 months. In those five months I have encountered a big hairy beast in the supermarket and my reactions have ranged from anxiety and anger to running for my life. In the beginning, I left full shopping carts in the store and hightailed it out of there. I graduated to avoiding the right side of the store. One time I accidentally walked down the aisle where the beast was waiting to get me. He jumped out at me like a jack-in-the box laughing at me and pointing at me like he had me. Sometimes he would sneak around and stalk me throughout the store. The beast would hide behind the bread, or it would dress up in fancy wrapping and hang out by the the feminine hygiene products. One time it tried to stop me by the cash register! There was a coupon hoarder taking up the other checkout so I couldn't move. I tip-toed past the beast and he laughed at me. The worst time is when he jumped in my cart when I wasn't looking. He hid behind the milk. I didn't know he was there until I went to put a bunch of popsicles in. He tricked me!! I threw him in a basket of bananas and got the hell of there. When was the beast going to leave me alone? Would I ever have any peace in the grocery store? Would his disgusting, hairy, hands forever want to squeeze my throat?

The answer is today, friends. Today I kicked his ass back to the hole he crawled out of. I left the store with everything on my list, with no anxiety, and a big smile on my face.

Today was my day.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Yeah!! You are very strong and you won!

That is so huge. Congratulations Mr. Beast Slayer.

And I love your sense of humor. That is a mighty weapon too. To frame a story that helps you (and us) laugh is a strong sword/AK47.

You are very awesome.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So inspirational! I know what you mean about the beast. I call mine a demon on my left shoulder that is always talking in my ear about how drinking will cure everything so just do it. Some days he is louder than others and I counter him with my logical side (maybe a little Angel with wings) saying you're doing the right thing. It is a daily battle only being 35 days in but these kind of stories give me hope and make me say out loud YES! Small victories keep you moving ahead.

Congrats!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great. I remember when I would get those butterflies walking past rows of wine bottles next to the produce at Ralph's. Now I just see how much money all that wine costs and roll my eyes. It's the ice cream that tries to jump in my cart these days.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you feel strong. I find it is so liberating to be able to go shopping and not have the urge to buy alcohol. I dont even pay any attention to it anymore when i do shop. Congrats
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you! It is amazing how when we keep walking through it, we get to the other side of it. Congratulations on getting to the other side of that beast! With God, all things are possible! Even victory over our addictions and fears.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Love that post!! quite the writer you

time to change the avatar to something more in line with a badass beast killin lioness
Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That made me smile.

Good job!

June
Old 09-08-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go earthsteps

D
Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

When you hear that niggling voice, it helps to recognize the heck out of it. Stare at it. Point. Laugh as you walk away, sober and totally badass. Drinking is not going happen. Stop trying to make it happen. Jerk.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Brilliant achievement! Gotta love the way products are marketed lol they'd test the nerves of most of us from time to time but you kicked it's @ss today. Power to you!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I absolutely LOVE your post!!! I always tried to kick the voice to the curb (I used distraction) and you did way better than I did!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Thanks all... it may sound silly but I never got cravings except when shopping. All the ads and the product placements. I finally feel like I have gotten past it. Feels good!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome story! Today begins day 39 for me , so there is still more of a struggle. Shopping is also a huge trigger for me. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

good for you...great read
Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
When you hear that niggling voice, it helps to recognize the heck out of it. Stare at it. Point. Laugh as you walk away, sober and totally badass. Drinking is not going happen. Stop trying to make it happen. Jerk.

Hell Yeah!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Stop trying to make happen Rachel McAdams - stop trying to make drinking alcohol happen its not going