Notices

Day 2 , Who we are

Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

1 hr a day, I know I spent more than 1 hour a day drinking and drugging. So 1 hour a day for a meeting is worth saving my life, my home, my wallet, my family, my job, my children, and my sanity. Using was putting my life on hold. Now I am living.

I guess it all depends on how bad people want it. I know I wanted it . I wanted the freedom from alcohol and drugs so bad I was willing to do whatever it took, and it is paying off.

But everyone has their own path to walk. Anything I put before my recovery I am going to lose anyways.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
Hello friends

I woke up inquisitive. If i'm going to get clean , I got to nail it down , why I run for the crack pipe. For that small , small timeframe that I'm fullfilled or numbed ? I'd like your input.

It's to do with being fullfilled , being ok with ourselves. The question is can it be learned ?

By comparison ? The next guy , the guy in prison , the guy handicapped . We must be happy by comparison.

Is it hereditary ? Because our parents were not happy does that mean I will be like them. Mine were not. What does that mean? It starts at an early age , who we are. So much of it is early on , how we were treated , the things we had or had not. The kid on the outside of the circle. The kid with less. That was me.

So by comparisom I surely should be happy and Surely I'm not destined to be like my parents or am I ?

If it can be learned , I think this is key ???

Tr
In working out and fitness, it is said that having a good body is 10% genetics, 10% working out, and 80% diet. I think the same applies to all genetics. Are we predisposed to certain addictions and lifestyles? Absolutely, but it doesnt mean it HAS to be that way. Put in some work and you can veer in a different direction. Its easy to be a product of your environment, but you can break the cycle.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
Deek : I'm glad you joined us. You're opinion is always welcome. I still have problems with the 90 in 90 , but do attend NA meetings. I like the 12 step concept too but the 90 in 90 , it's just not always possible. We are all of different ages , circumstances. We can't all just put our lives on hold.

Not trying to make this an AA or NA debate , please

Tr
Riky,

I am not AA, SMART, AVRT, RR or any of the others. I applaud you for going to NA meetings when you can. It's a beginning. I have a friend who started to go to AA, he went once a week. It wasn't enough for him and he also had many questions, he added in ACA meetings, also started to add in Alanon meetings. He still does not attend 7 days a week. He does what he thinks he can handle at this time.

I think sometimes a person becomes overwhelmed thinking that they have to do 90 in 90 and that just puts them right back to where they were. You are still very early. Go to your meetings when you can. Especially go to your meetings when you would least like to go, that is when you need it the most.

I have a feeling that you are a "thinker", I am also. Sometimes if you feel like you are being "forced", you tend to give up on that thing, when that is what could have benefited you the most. Take things at your own pace. Don't overwhelm yourself.

You may find out, just as my friend found out, that he became really comfortable in AA. He still is not going everyday, but he increased from 1 day a week to 5 times a week.

This is your recovery. You just need to do what works for you.

if you overwhelm yourself, you may just quit everything and go back to where you were, give yourself time.

Last edited by amy55; 09-08-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: editing to add
Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If I have time to sit on SR for 2 hours or more a day which I am often, I have time for a meeting. SR is just one piece of my recovery puzzle. It's awesome and I love it but it is not enough for me. Take care!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me 40 years to realise we write our own story Riky.

I spent most of my life mired in the past and trying to numb myself from things that happened nearly half a century ago.

I let go of that old coping strategy, I got a little counselling help, and I found the more I stayed clean and sober the more capable I was able to deal with the wreckage of my past in a healthy way

I prefer to write my story in today now, with a fresh page and fresh set of options.

Build the life you want riky, Be the man you want to be

If you hear buts in your head, thats the past and your addiction calling.
they've lost the right to input in this discussion.

D
Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

triky, how bout dropin the "we" crap in your speach and talk about you. dam straight I dropped everything to get to as many meetings as possible in the beginning.
no,we don't need to learn to live sober. theres the option of doin the same insane crap and ended up dead or kilin someone. maybe end up in a psych ward with permanent brain damage.

use excuses right back to the crack pipe or stop screwin around and get serious.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

we all have a cup. and one day our cup tips over and we realise we an addict or alcoholic.
what goes into the cup is the sum of who we are and our life experience...
genetics, birth trauma, personality type, childhood, teenage years, peer pressure, good stuff crappy stuff...culture, coping style, need for escape or not, stress, vulnerabilities and trauma. we are all so different and cope and react so differently, nature and nurture..... some peoples cup stays upright and some peoples tips.....

addiction not caused by any one thing