Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Made it thru my first day .. But it's not the 1st I'm worried about

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

I made it thru the first day/nite easily .. Unfortunately it's not the first or even second day I'm worried about. I the third, fourth , week , month that I'm terrified of . The beast inside my head is saying ,, look you quit for a few days , your fine, plain out denial , I believe this voice and so the cycle begins again , along with the shame and the guilt , which in turn, makes me drink more to forget. How does one **** that evil voice up.. If I have the willpower to stop for a day or two .. Why not for good,, I just can't explain how powerful the need to drink is.. Like metal to a magnet. What do you do when you are so overcome by that voice and want to give in ?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kza

That is the six million dollar question we all ask.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I follow the thought through to its obvious conclusion. I enjoy a drink, then I have another..then another....in a few days I am slaughtered by 8pm and hiding bottles around the house again, and I cannot look myself in the mirror. No thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Think things through when you get those cravings. Remember that you are lying to yourself when you say it will just be a few. Remember that you will be hung over and feel even worse than you do now. Think of some of the embarrassing thing a you might do or say in front of family or friends.

Bottom line, just remember that for an alcoholic, taking that first drink is ALWAYS a losing proposition.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's different for everyone but for me, I let the voice come in and tell myself that this is going to happen. It's going to happen a lot and I have to let it run its course while standing strong. I try to find things to keep me busy, exercise or get on SR to re-read my reasons for quitting and get support. I also have a mental list of all the bad things that will come if I drink and then think about all the good things I can do sober. That's just me and we all have our ways. Keep posting and reading on here and you will find your way as well. You can do this!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I defiantly need to find some meeting and a support group, we have fantastic resources out here .. I feel I need to reach out and talk about this with other sober and recovering alcoholics ,, it puts forward that I DO want to quit..I've just never had anyone to really share my feelings with ( other than my husband) who's a drinker , smoker and pothead ) big part of the problem . I do know that I have some very serious big changes I need to make . And need to step up to the plate and get my head out if the sand. I have faith maybe this will be the turnin point finally
Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I focused on taking it one day at a time and didn't think too far ahead. I found the busier i was the less i thought about drinking. If i did not have a plan for my time my mind would gravitate towards thinking of alcohol. When you are tempted to drink you need to have activities in place to distract yourself. I have found the more sober time i have the less powerful that voice is. Remember all the negative aspects of drinking and focus on your sobriety. It gets easier. Wishing you well.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. There's a reason they tell you to take it "one day at a time." The enormity of the idea of "never drinking again . . forever . . and ever" is enough to drive some people to drink.

On the other hand, you should have a plan for that day when you face the choice most of us run into sooner or later:

"Well I could just have one or two, it'll be okay."

My plan is to read my little note to myself, in my wallet, which explains in detail what "one or two" has led to in the past. You may have a different plan. Just don't get blindsided, because it's a foreseeable trap..

Oh one last piece of advice that has helped me: Exploit your sobriety. There are all sorts of cool things I didn't do because I was a drunk. Not drinking now, I try to work on long-term plans. Getting better at stuff, learning, making progress, improving. The more you have invested in your sober life, the harder it is to throw it all away for a cheap beer buzz. (or at least that's the idea)
Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
Worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. There's a reason they tell you to take it "one day at a time." The enormity of the idea of "never drinking again . . forever . . and ever" is enough to drive some people to drink.

On the other hand, you should have a plan for that day when you face the choice most of us run into sooner or later:

"Well I could just have one or two, it'll be okay."

My plan is to read my little note to myself, in my wallet, which explains in detail what "one or two" has led to in the past. You may have a different plan. Just don't get blindsided, because it's a foreseeable trap..

Oh one last piece of advice that has helped me: Exploit your sobriety. There are all sorts of cool things I didn't do because I was a drunk. Not drinking now, I try to work on long-term plans. Getting better at stuff, learning, making progress, improving. The more you have invested in your sober life, the harder it is to throw it all away for a cheap beer buzz. (or at least that's the idea)

Thank you everyone for all your positive feedbacks..gives me a ton of hope ,,and strength..great idea about the note.. Mine would be arms length..one day at a time .. Never really thought of it that way..but am going to change my mindset .. Every second, minute , you, day sober Is an accomplishment and so precious
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

You have to starve the beast out, it gets stronger or stays as strong as it seems every time we give in. It will grow weaker the longer you starve it.
Timeframes of any sort were very hard for me to wrap my head around, tonight, tomorrow, a couple of hours ect. I found just concentrating on the 'now' was doable. literally that specific moment, right now I am not drinking. When an urge creeps up all a I have to do is not drink now, doable. We actually only live in the now, tonight will be now, then. Same with tomorrow, next week, when you are 'there' it will be 'now'. It sounds crazy(almost) but this thought process helped me tremendously.
wish you well
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Maribell.

I don't see it in your comments here, and I don't recall whether or not you've got a program or treatment in place for your struggles.

I built a new life through the AA Big Book Twelve Steps. My work helps me counteract both alcoholic and negative thinking to the extent that I rarely entertain the thought of drinking. I've learned to silence my AV as soon as it starts, and I'm living a life beyond my own imagination.

I'm not a big fan of trying to tackle such a huge problem on our own, and I cannot count the number of times people end up devastated and worse following yet another attempt to achieve sobriety without lots of help and support.

The best advice in early sobriety is to do whatever you need to do to stay sober. Everything else is secondary.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My brother (recovering after 20 years of non stop drinking - with 18 months relative success at on and off which is better than not trying),
said that it would be a good reminder for him of why he can't drink when he feels better, if someone filmed one of his drunken stupours. It would be a constant reminder of:

"I am not ok"

"I cannot drink again"

"Abstinence is the only answer for me".

he would play it over and over...