Notices

Football and Beer

Old 09-07-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Football and Beer

Geez...all day I've been watching College Football and all day I've been pushed to

HAVE A BEER!! RIGHT NOW!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!! HAVE FUN ON GAME DAY!!!!! LIVE IT UP!!!!

oh and "Drink Responsibly". LOL lmao Yes, buy the beer, lots of it and drink it...but do it "responsibly." Cowards. Millions of people addicted, they are the pushers...but don't blame them if you can't control using the drug.

OK, rant off.

They won't ruin football for me (Go Oregon Ducks!) nor will they botch sobriety today.

....but I might be mad I can't have a cold one watching the game. Sigh. That's why I'm mad, huh? OK...yeah.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

never been a football fan, but I promise there will be a day when those ads won't even register Lillian

D
Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya know; I was never a big "football beer" type person; I mean I drank when I wanted and that was that lol Never went out of my way to watch a game w\ beers ... But must say I was disappointed the other night I couldn't have a cold one during the season opener :| Strange lol Good for you for planning to stay sober
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

It gets easier with time. Hang in their.enjoy the game, ingnore the circus
Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I promise there will be a day when those ads won't even register Lillian

D
...and coming from you, that is of great comfort. Thank you.

Such weird feelings this first week. I'm an emotional wuss.

I cried during the car commercial when the car kept the babies safe in an accident on a rainy day. A commercial for goodness sake. WTH?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
But must say I was disappointed the other night I couldn't have a cold one during the season opener :| Strange lol
Isn't it strange?

It's a little weird to start all over on cultural traditions!

Glad it wasn't a major hardship for you.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

I would like to see an ad that said. "Remember the game. Dont drink"
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lillian - I was very emotional too. We're letting go of something that was a big part of our lives, even though it was destructive and useless. I went through a grieving process - but it didn't last long. The joy of being free soon took over.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
The joy of being free soon took over.
I love this thought! Freedom is joy.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You know it always bothered me they push drugs (alcohol is a drug) with sporting events. The irony of watching healthy athletes while destroying your body, makes little sense.

Imagine ads during a football game for marijuana or cocaine. Actually the marijuana one may not be far off based on legalization and federal relaxation.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

There would be no televised games without the advertisers. They do research and know who is watching. It's a cultural thing. Don't old your breath waiting to the "SuperBowl Halftime show, brought to you by Rosetta Stone"
Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh I know this. Not a footy fan but yesterday I was on a bus with my husband and kids and we go past this shop with massive posters in the window. Buy 2 bottles of wine, get 1 free. 3 bottles of wine for £10. Buy one bottle of whisky get one free. It made me feel angry and physically sick! Grrrrrr
Old 09-08-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Ads for products didn't bother me , I like capitalism.
And I'm pretty sure they give wine away at church, haven't done the whole body and blood thing in awhile but I remember it wasn't juice.
I think in time those ads won't be as noticeable, much like haired people not seeing the ads for Rogaine
Old 09-08-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Imagine ads during a football game for marijuana or cocaine. Actually the marijuana one may not be far off based on legalization and federal relaxation.
I can imagine the ads and I'm sitting here laughing!

"This is Alex Rodriguez. When you're feeling low, snort a line of Coca-max....grab life for all its worth. You deserve it! Please snort cocaine responsibly."
Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
There would be no televised games without the advertisers. They do research and know who is watching. It's a cultural thing. Don't old your breath waiting to the "SuperBowl Halftime show, brought to you by Rosetta Stone"
It's a little scary how much they know about us, isn't it?

You're right, in the chicken-egg question, the reason they advertise beer is because they know beer drinkers are watching.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree it's a cultural thing, but where do young men learn about this culture? By watching tv and associating macho manliness football with playing sports AND drinking beer. I'm a capitalist myself, and I believe in free will. I just think its funny most people don't look at alcohol as a drug. Heck we managed to run cigarette advertising off of TV. Im not trying to rally a mob with pitchforks and tiki torches to storm the castle, just point out the silliness.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There was something on the news the other day about a baseball fan who fell to his death in a stadium. It was after I had been sober for a bit. I thought about how many times I have done stupid things when I have been drinking.

You're right Lillian, the advertising for booze is pervasive and when you see ads on tv it shows the beginning of the night. I think the current stats for alcoholics are about 1 in 10. Think about that. When those stadiums empty every night, one in 10 of those people are going home to deal with a lot of what we are dealing with here. The advertisers don't want us to think of the families that are broken, people who die or people who are just miserable and suffering like I was.

I don't blame the advertisers, they are selling a product. I just have to use my filter to fast forward the commercials to imagine where one drink would take me, and that is certainly nothing they would want to show on tv.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I agree it's a cultural thing, but where do young men learn about this culture? By watching tv and associating macho manliness football with playing sports AND drinking beer. I'm a capitalist myself, and I believe in free will. I just think its funny most people don't look at alcohol as a drug. Heck we managed to run cigarette advertising off of TV. Im not trying to rally a mob with pitchforks and tiki torches to storm the castle, just point out the silliness.
I never wanted to go to Walden Pond , but the older I get the more I tend to see the degradation of modern culture and how far 'we' have let our youth stray from critical thinking, that perhaps a nice weekend retreat spent w/HDT wouldn't be such a bad requisite for high school graduation.
I tend to be the household lecture dork, as all kids have heard the only reason this is on tv is because they think whoever is watching is going to purchase the things on the commercials speech. I especially try and drive this point home even with the wife, lest she think FoxNews is exempt. I love television and all things mass media, we just have to remember or learn how/why it is there. It is not for our edification but our entertainment, confuse the two at your peril.
Watch , listen long enough and you may think we can(and should) all get something for nothing.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
I never wanted to go to Walden Pond , but the older I get the more I tend to see the degradation of modern culture and how far 'we' have let our youth stray from critical thinking, that perhaps a nice weekend retreat spent w/HDT wouldn't be such a bad requisite for high school graduation.
I tend to be the household lecture dork, as all kids have heard the only reason this is on tv is because they think whoever is watching is going to purchase the things on the commercials speech. I especially try and drive this point home even with the wife, lest she think FoxNews is exempt. I love television and all things mass media, we just have to remember or learn how/why it is there. It is not for our edification but our entertainment, confuse the two at your peril.
Watch , listen long enough and you may think we can(and should) all get something for nothing.
I agree.

Guess which age group those ads for lemonade, strawberry, ice tea, and other flavored alcohol drinks are for?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I always thought I was into football but now that I'm sober I realize I was only into using it as an excuse to get drunk on a Sunday afternoon. lol