Notices

Football and Beer

Old 09-08-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Years ago, a friend of mine was working for CBS Sports, which was mostly football at the time. When he got his first paycheck (I'm not sure direct deposit even existed then), a co-worker told him, "There's a little bit of Budweiser in all our paychecks."
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
I would like to see an ad that said. "Remember the game. Dont drink"
This. I just said this on a different thread: I love football and I'd rather not drink so I can concentrate on the game. I have one friend who is the same way and if we're together at football get togethers we usually hang together. Even when I was drinking I didn't want to drink during games, although oddly I would if at parties. Peer pressure, I guess, it seems so part of it all.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I agree it's a cultural thing, but where do young men learn about this culture? By watching tv and associating macho manliness football with playing sports AND drinking beer. I'm a capitalist myself, and I believe in free will. I just think its funny most people don't look at alcohol as a drug. Heck we managed to run cigarette advertising off of TV. Im not trying to rally a mob with pitchforks and tiki torches to storm the castle, just point out the silliness.
Sadly, I think kids learn the most about alcohol from their parents. Sigh. I learned it from my alcoholic father and here I was passing down the same traditions to my children. I hope I'm not too late in changing their destiny.

TV and beer companies are parasites who prey on our weakness for profit. There's millions who want it, and they are selling it....and increasing visibility so as to increase sales.

((And here is Lillian stepping up on the soapbox)) if you are waiting for the govt to step in and stop it...you'll be waiting a long time. They like us stewed in front of the TV caring more about sports and the Kardashians instead of standing up to corporations.

But when you're ready to storm the castle - count me in!! Maybe we can get some pitchforks and tiki torches on sale at Home Depot?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lillian - well said!