Notices

Don't let the sound of your own wheels...

Old 09-07-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't let the sound of your own wheels...

drive you crazy.

It's 2 a.m. my time and I just got home from a trip into the city to see The Eagles. Good show. A group of us met at my brother's place in the city prior to the show. I had club soda and lime whilst everyone else had cocktails. Didn't bother me a bit. As a matter of fact, it was a relief. These were a group of social drinkers, and before a concert in the ole days, I'd have to get a helluva buzz on...so likely I would have made a giant jerk of myself if it was in fact, the ole days. Also, I was able to drive home tonight! I have to work tomorrow so it was best I did. Again..in the ole days, I would have had to wake up at crack of dawn..hungover..and drive 2 hours into work. Ugh.

Anyhoo..the lyric line I quoted made me chuckle when I heard it tonight. Sometimes "the sound of my own wheels" in my sober head...can get a little crazy : )

Yet another sober situation faced..and enjoyed. We actually took a water taxi across the bay from my brother's apartment to the show. It was really beautiful. Nice to be able to appreciate things...simply for what they are.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like this other Eagles line too:

So often in time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key.

Glad you had a good time Nuu

D
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

So often in time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key.

Glad you had a good time Nuu

D
How very apt indeed : )
Old 09-07-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always felt a connection to Desperado. It was like it was speaking to me every time I heard it.

I have finally come down from my fences and opened the gate.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I always felt a connection to Desperado. It was like it was speaking to me every time I heard it.

I have finally come down from my fences and opened the gate.
That's actually my absolute fave Gracie. It was the final encore..and almost brought me to tears. Don Henley may be a bit long in the tooth..but his pipes haven't aged a bit.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tequila Sunrise, The Sad Cafe, Take It to the Limit, Hotel Califoria, Rocky Mountain Way, Desperado, After the Thrill is Gone, Lyin Eyes, I Can't Yell You Why, Victim of Love, The Long Run. and the national anthem of alcoholics, Wasted Time.

The Eagles provided the soundtrack to my life as a young adult. I loved all of the California Rock Bands and singers, but The Eagles most of all. Don't think there is a song on Hotel California that I still can't sing by heart. Aren't you glad you got to experience them sober?
Old 09-07-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post

Yet another sober situation faced..and enjoyed. We actually took a water taxi across the bay from my brother's apartment to the show. It was really beautiful. Nice to be able to appreciate things...simply for what they are.
That feeling of going through a event and remembering it....clearly, without guilt or blurred memories.

So happy you enjoyed all of it Nuudawn. And yes, the simple things, like your ride across the bay....things just sparkle sometimes, simply because of us being present and in the moment.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you nuu I think that's a remarkable turning point to go to a show and truly enjoy it sober! I applaud you! I past up seeing, my life long Obsessed with band, in July because I just wasn't ready. Reading your post made realize how much better a show could be sober

Great job nuudawn
Old 09-07-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nuu - lovely post. It's a sweet and valuable experience to get a taste for what things really are - live music, great food, water friggin' taxis - without the blurring poison in our way. It's so simple sometimes.

Thank you for the post, and some great quotes (though an Eagles fan I am not!).

Happy weekend.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
That has been one of my signature lines here for years.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hey Nuudawn.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door,
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before,
"Relax," said the night man, "We are programmed to receive,
"You can check out anytime you like... but you can never leave."

Great to see you continue to demonstrate that, yes, you can actually leave the Hotel California.