Notices

Still alive!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still alive!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to reach out and say hello to the SR forum just because it has been about three weeks since my last post. I'm not sure if anyone remembers or knows me well enough but it's more about sharing hope and experiences so if you are new to the forum, welcome, I hope you find strength here! In the past month I've done some soul searching and had a chance to find clarity after a difficult pregnancy and my first year of sobriety... What a whirlwind it has been! Right after I got sober I found out I was expecting so while I wanted to devote my full energy and attention to recovery, I couldn't, but I tried to keep going to at least 2 or 3 meetings per week and seeing a therapist. I also made time for exercise and some Buddhism classes I wanted to take. All of these things became tools. I still struggled with my depression and found it very isolating to be pregnant as I had anxiety and exhaustion which made it hard to socialize or go out. I guess I just hung on. Some days were better than others. I tried to be grateful. I am grateful still.

My son was born early on Aug. 18th and went to the NICU because there were some concerns about his breathing and high temperature. I was running a high fever as well and lost an unusually large amount of blood so it was traumatic but also beautiful to watch his birth and become a mother. Parenthood is everything they say; wonderful and awe inspiring and frustrating and scary and just crazy! It consumed me, really, from the start. I'm having to find myself again and still make some time for recovery. My baby is top priority too, but I know if I'm not sober I can't be a good mom so I will be doing what I need to do. I've also become involved in a political movement toward therapeutic practices for addicts in prisons instead of the treatment currently offered - that has been so educational and I feel empowered getting involved. I'm going to end with a thank you AGAIN to everyone here who supported me throughout the past 9 months. Thank you all so much. I hope to stay here for many years. If I can keep this up I will have my 1 year sober birthday on Nov. 21, 2013. I'm counting the days.

God Bless.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course we remember you Jane - it's great to have you posting again.

I'm glad to hear you and your son are doing well - congratulations

D
Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Jane...you sound good! I was just wondering about you the other day, I'm glad you updated us....stay in touch
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad you and the baby are doing good That is awesome, about your involvement with the political campaign for the addicts in prison, great stuff!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update BabyJane. Glad things are going well right now, and congratulations again on the birth of your child.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

Congrats to you on becoming a mother. I remember you too.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

jane,, glad to see you are doing well. parenthood is awarding time in life, it is for me. nice to see you again. keep in touch
Old 09-06-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wonderful! Congrats!!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats fellow fan of Zelda
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember you, BabyJane! It's good to see you back again. I'm glad things are going well for you. Wow, almost a year sober! That's awesome. I know you will make it.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What lovely news, and great to hear from you. New babies are wonderful and all-consuming. Enjoy your time, it passes so quickly and before you know it he will be out at work and bringing home his girlfriend to meet you....

Maintaining your sobriety now is really important. Do whatever it takes to keep that going. Stay close to us x
Old 09-07-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on becoming a mother! Several of my friends have become parents in the last few years and it really is a life changing event.