Notices

Really need some help

Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really need some help

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Ill try to fill you in here as much as I can. I'm a 20 year old alcoholic in need of some advice and help. Im a sophmore in university and have been drinking heavily since I was 14. It started out as binge drinking with friends on the weekends but when I turned 16 I started drinking daily. Alcohol was always very available to me as I lived in the UK and drinking laws are by no means strict there. I also thought I'd mention I was prescribed ADHD meds from the age of 5 but have been on and off those for the last few years. My most recent prescription was dexedrine that was prescribed to me when I was 17 and after a year I was taking 8 10mg pills and barely got any sleep so I stopped. However, the adhd meds made my drinking way worse. I was drinking 15 pints of guinness a day after I stopped the meds. My last two years in highschool consisted of drinking, snorting dexedrine in school and taking valium and codeine and smoking weed to get me to sleep daily. I was also taking ketamine and mdma every weekend at squat parties and it finally got to the point where after 2 years I collapsed at a family friends house after taking valium and ketamine with a liter of vodka. Needless to say, I ended up waking up in a rehab in London the next morning and found out that I accepted to go to rehab in the hospital. As soon as I realized my situation I knew I couldn't leave rehab otherwise my family would have cut the ties with me financially. So instead I ended up LYING to the doctors about how much valium and codeine I was taking so I could be high the first few days. I ended up convincing my parents to let me leave rehab after the 14 day detox. I started drinking again 4 days later. Ever since then, my life has been a blur. I moved to the US last year and this is when I realized how much of an alcoholic I really was. Not being able to buy alcohol legally drove me insane and I ended up stocking up weekly with cheap handles of vodka. This became a huge problem as I was always more of a beer drinker before and the vodka raised my tolerence to the point where I was drinking a handle a day for a month. During which, I also ended up taking xanax and landed in hospital where I stayed for a week to detox. I ended up going to AA for a month and remained sober and truthfully I had never felt so fresh and healthy in mind and body in my life. I went back to the UK this summer and I went back to my old ways. I've now been drinking daily since late june and Im drinking anywhere from a 6 pack of 8% beer to half a handle of whiskey a day. I've closed myself off socially because I don't want my friends here to see me drinking the way I do. There is no longer any pleasure in drinking for me anymore, it just causes pain. I really want to stop, but I had a couple of questions. If I've been drinking this heavily for the past few months do I need to go to detox? And if so, do you know of any way I can detox without going to a center or hospital? I still want to attend my classes as I do still value my education. Hope to hear from somebody.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Stew - there are folks here that can help. You need to stay connected to this site and we'll help you through. You have quite the story to be so young and it is wonderful that you have decided that enough is enough. You can make it STICK this time. I got to the point where I had to drink to feel better. I forgot what normal felt like. Drunk was my normal, and that is no way to live. Detoxing is serious. With the volume you drank, I'm sure the consensus will be to go to a hospital or have someone stay with you for a few days. This is the most important thing you can do for yourself. Be strong. I'm fairly new to this myself and I 'm still trying to say those thing to my OWN head. I have to say them OVER AND OVER every day to make it. It's not easy but worth it. 12 days and counting.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi stewman - Welcome

do you have a dr?
That would be my first call in detoxing....

are you thinking about going back to AA too?

D
Old 09-06-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I'd ask your doctor for help in getting safely thru withdrawal. Alcohol detox can be dangerous.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, if your dr gives you the go-ahead then you can detox at home.

I hope you keep posting.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Peaches, thanks for the encouragement! And Dee, there's a meeting tonight at 8 pm conveniently around the corner from my apartment so Ill definitely be attending. However, I've had a few drinks throughout the day and I'm kind of weary about going to an AA meeting and having them smell any alcohol on me... Ill still be going but I do feel bad about it. And I just looked at my university health website and they provide detox services free of charge in Boston through my insurance.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Stewman! My heart goes out to you. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The first day is the hardest

Try to take and stay safe I really feel for you at a similar age to me mate
Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by stewman1 View Post
...there's a meeting tonight at 8 pm conveniently around the corner from my apartment so Ill definitely be attending. However, I've had a few drinks throughout the day and I'm kind of weary about going to an AA meeting and having them smell any alcohol on me... Ill still be going but I do feel bad about it.

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."
Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stewman

Be safe and kep posting.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My big downer mistake happened early, slept 3 days. It was a good scare me thinks, one where I lived.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find alot of support here man.