Notices

Unsure if I am an alcoholic?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Unsure if I am an alcoholic?

I have had some severe panic attacks a couple of weeks ago defo not helped by my normal weekend binge drinking. Becuase of this I decided to stop drinking but I have never felt so depressed Im suffering from something from depersonalisation which I have had for many years and I think I must have been drinking heavy at weekends to cope? Back on the Anti's hope they help not had a drink in nearly too weeks coz im that scared of getting a severe panic attacks again. Going back to my original question though can you be an alcoholic if you only drink 3 times a week but to excess?:
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome

I think it's the drinking to excess part that you need to focus on Johnty not the 3 times a week.

That's called binge drinking and I believe I was alcoholic when I used to drink that way....but you'll need to make up your own mind, I guess.

I certainly did no favours to my mind or body drinking like that, regardless of what you want to call it.

D
Old 09-06-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Johnty,

Here're the simplest criteria I've come across:

1. Can I, when I really want to, stop and stay stopped? (and no fudging like, "Well I had decided to quit, but then I changed my mind.") That 'mind changing' thing? That's the alcoholic thinking at work.
2. After I have 1-2 drinks, can I stop? Or do I have little or no control over the amount I drink? Again, no fudging. I can't say, "Well, I decided I wanted to party after all." Uh uh - if you made the decision beforehand that you were only going to have 1-2 and your mind changed, it wasn't you doing the changing, pardner. It's the alcoholic craving - the physical component of alcoholism, at work. You can check out an excellent explanation of the biological component of alcoholism here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I, too, was a binge drinker for a pretty long time. I almost think it'd have been better if I was a daily drinker; maybe it would've helped me see through my persistent belief, against all evidence, that I wasn't an alcoholic. I can't say if you're alcoholic; we each need to gather information and determine it for ourselves. Only by looking at my own experience can I really say whether or not I have this illness.

IF you determine you do have a drinking problem and want to do something about it, there are quite a few recovery paths folks follow here (AA - 12 Step, AVRT, SMART, etc.). The support on this site is incredible and an incredible amount of good information to be found, as well.

HTH, and welcome to SR!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I think it's better to focus on the solution rather than on a label. Congrats on your two weeks sober! Keep it going!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 2 weeks sober. Being honest with yourself as to the possibility of being an alcoholic is your call as stated. If you think your not it might be the moment to recognize that alcohol is toxic and not considered a health drink, stopping can prevent many bad things from happening to our body. BE WELL
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I was a 3 day a week binger. Always - always - had to drink to excess once I started. What's the point otherwise? This is the problem. We are not "normal" drinkers. I have seen them. They are fine with 1-3 drinks at a time and are not obsessing about when is the next time they can indulge in alcohol.

So, yes, I think a 3 day a week binger can be an alcoholic. I know I am. To not have to suffer those miserable mornings and detox throughout the day is a gift for which I am grateful on a daily basis.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not about how much you drink it's how it affects you. In my experience, if you wonder whether you're an alcoholic then you're an alcoholic.