Notices

At a crossroads

Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Clemence - we're so glad you found us.

I was lost and alone with my troubles when I found SR. Somehow, knowing others understood made all the difference to me. Once I was able to talk openly about my feelings it removed a huge burden. I gradually built up the courage to stop all together. It was no fun in the end - just a miserable habit that brought me no joy.

Be proud of yourself for facing this and coming here to share your thoughts. I hope this will be the beginning of a whole new life for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Clemence. I never drank before 7pm or much later than midnight. Never once during the day and was always 100% sober at work, albeit with a hangover. I never drove drunk. I was never arrested. I don't go to bars. I don't offend anybody when I'm drinking because I do it alone.

I still have a problem.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Clem, good to have you.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place. Keep reading and posting
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

@ Raider. Check out your signature line. Are you quitting next decade?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Right. Next year. Hahahahahahah. Thanks!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! That fear you feel isn't the "you" part of you, it's your Beast/Addictive Voice. It's terrified that you've unlocked the secret, the secret to taking control of your life back. The Beast has no power to act on it's own- it can only trick, cajole or badger you into feeding it. But with AVRT you will have all the power and the Beast will have none.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Clemence

I'm a newbie too and have been welcomed warmly since arriving. I can really relate to your forgetting when you went to bed. That was one of the scariest things for me. I didn't even drink that much (although when I did, hoo!) so forgetting going to bed after one or two glasses of wine really freaked me out. I thought I was getting Alzheimer's.

I don't even know if I'm able to call myself an alcoholic tbh. It doesn't sit right with me. However it is absolutely true that I have a problem with drinking and that it doesn't agree with me, therefore I have stopped and won't ever drink again.

Of course when I say that, I get the little voice saying 'really. Isn't that a bit drastic, you are fine! So you had one or two crazy nights recently, that happens to everyone. You don't want people to think you've a drinking problem so you! Better have one."

When that happens I try to recognize that that isn't rational me speaking. It's the part of me that wants to drink no matter what the consequences are. And I am not going to do what it says because I am the one in control and not my random urges.

I am reading "rational recovery" at the moment and its very good. It has some great descriptions and has opened my eyes. This site is also wonderful.

Someone said to me when I first posted - that people who don't have a drinking problem don't search for recovery sites. If you suspect you have an issue, you probably do. It's your rational, intelligent mind understanding that you should stop.

All the best.