Notices

Trying something new....

Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying something new....

Hi, I have never tried anything like this before. I have never been on an internet forum or anything of that nature. I am open to try new things as I haven't been able to successfully stop drinking. I have to admit I distrust this format and am wary of people/weirdos lurking. Having said that I would be interested to hear others experiences. What brings you here and how is it going??
Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Karthur, on the 10th I'll be 2 years without cocaine and 2 years here. As far as the lurking weidos go, you find them in the flesh as much as on the internet. If you have a substance abuse problem SR is a good place to get help, lots of support here. Rootin for ya.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. This forum has been instrumental in my recovery.

Originally Posted by karthur View Post
I am open to try new things as I haven't been able to successfully stop drinking.
Then perhaps you will be open to the suggestions you are likely to encounter here about finding a form of face-to-face support, such as AA or a secular substance abuse recovery group.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi karthur ,

Welcome to SR , i'm just another drunk who has been sober for a while . I have some experience , strenght and hope to share .

Helping and encouraging people who want to get sober , helps keep me sober because i remember what it was like for me , sometimes i'm forgetful !

The moderators here do a great job . I still remain largely anonymous behind my "mecanix" profile so i can be more open about some things people might find useful .

A few close friends i've made know who i am in real life .. but only after careful consideration .

Have a look round , read a bit , post questions , take your time and get a feel for the place , you don't *have* to do anything ...

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello karthur and welcome to SR.

I hadn't ever joined a forum before either. I just googled for advice on alcoholism as I knew I needed some answers and didn't have a clue where to find them. The moderation approach had failed and I wasn't sure whether I could quit completely without help.

I'm 15 months sober now and SR has been a huge and vital part of my journey. The advice and support I have received here has enabled me to change my life around.

This is a warm and welcoming community and we all help each other along. The moderators do a fantastic job of ensuring it runs smoothly, and any 'weirdos' are soon dealt with....

It would be nice to have you join us.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think those same lurking weirdos are sifting through your email and Facebook, but I am known to be paranoid

Anyway, you don't have to share anything you don't want to. While I was lurking, I just read dozens and dozens of stories. That gave me the courage to recognize that it was time to quit and that there is no such thing as "just one". Posting, somehow, keeps me accountable. Like if I were to screw up, I'd better go back and read my own advice. Something like that.

Happy to see you here. Well, not see you. You know what I mean.

Welcome!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If someone is on this site whether lurking or actually posting, I think we are all here for a similar reason.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!! I have been perusing the site and am really wowed, and inspired! Initially I couldn't figure out what might one post that helps others in quitting but now I see how powerful it can be. Thanks to all the people who post! I will have to take some time later on (with a cup of TEA I guess) and find my groove here. Anyhow thanks for the welcoming!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Karthur, I discovered SR 11 days ago. I haven't had a drink since then. This is my first attempt at sobriety in 20 years, and the longest I have gone without drinking in.....forever. I have relied heavily on the people here. I have found people in varying degrees of recovery, varying degrees of despair and hope. But I haven't happened upon a creep, a stalker, or a predator yet. No advertising, no ulterior motives. Just a lot of people who understand and support you. Good luck and welcome to SR. I hope you stick around.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

You have no control over who is looking. Don't even think about it. Post, share, and experience what SR has to offer.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Karthur

This is by far the best community I've ever been part of - I'm sure you'll be safe here - in fact it's my job and the other mods to make sure of that

if you find any weirdos, let me know

welcome aboard

D
Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi karthur. This forum is so welled maintained with well defined guidelines that are intended to keep people safe. I would definitely recommend perusing the guidelines, they help clarify issues and address concerns.

I am probably one of the only people on earth without a Facebook account, I am really private, so I understand your concerns. However, there is no pressure to disclose anything about yourself here, which is a nice place to start.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think SR is about as safe as walking out your front door and mingling in a crowd There are risks everywhere.

The benefits far outweigh any weirdos, imo