Notices

Using Gratitude to Defeat Self-Pity

Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using Gratitude to Defeat Self-Pity

As people suffering from addiction, we need to remain vigilant at all times about negative emotions, and when we feel them, challenge them. Four of these are represented by the acronym HALT- it's important in recovery to not let ourselves get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.

But those aren't the only ones- in my experience, the emotion that I must be most vigilant about is self-pity. We've all heard, "Poor me, poor me... pour me a drink." If I am not careful to challenge why I am feeling sorry for myself, it is so easy to be all-encompassed in a world of "What if", "How could I?" and "what was I thinking?". I become angry at my disease and imagine how much easier life would be without it. If I let this pattern continue, I generally am only able to come up with one effective solution- TO USE.

Or, you can take a step back and take a more realistic perspective on things- by writing a gratitude list. It's usually after listing 3 or 4 items that I begin to feel like a spoiled brat for ever feeling so bad more myself. I realize how fortunate I am to be able to live free, live in a house, drive a car, and never go hungry. I think of my family, and how lucky I am to still have them supporting me after doing such horrendous things to them during my active addiction. I compare my addiction to other diseases I could have been born with. A wise person once told me, "You really think your life is that bad? Take a 15-minute drive to Boston and visit Children's Hospital or St. Jude's- talk to some children with terminal illnesses, who did not even get ONE chance, and then tell me if you're lucky or not!"

I have been given a lot of chances- far more than I probably deserve. So whenever I feel like life's not fair, it's too hard, or I want to give up- I get grateful.

Just for today, I will challenge my negative inner dialogue- with GRATITUDE.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi I completely understand your concept of a 'gratitude list'. Sadly, in my experience (and I have worked with cancer patients), when the addictive voice sprang up, all thoughts of others vanished
Great and thought-provoking post though - thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think part of the journey for me was a humbling of the ego . Getting over myself a bit has improved my humor hugely .

Just appreciating waking up without a hangover in the morning is great and wonderous thing

Gratitude is certainly something i use in my armoury to keep myself content with being sober and happy today .

Thanks , m
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Or, you can take a step back and take a more realistic perspective on things- by writing a gratitude list. It's usually after listing 3 or 4 items that I begin to feel like a spoiled brat for ever feeling so bad more myself. I realize how fortunate I am to be able to live free, live in a house, drive a car, and never go hungry. I think of my family, and how lucky I am to still have them supporting me after doing such horrendous things to them during my active addiction. I compare my addiction to other diseases I could have been born with. A wise person once told me, "You really think your life is that bad? Take a 15-minute drive to Boston and visit Children's Hospital or St. Jude's- talk to some children with terminal illnesses, who did not even get ONE chance, and then tell me if you're lucky or not!"

I have been given a lot of chances- far more than I probably deserve. So whenever I feel like life's not fair, it's too hard, or I want to give up- I get grateful.

Just for today, I will challenge my negative inner dialogue- with GRATITUDE.[/QUOTE]

Thank you----and thank you yet again
Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

when the addictive voice sprang up, all thoughts of others vanished
Thats how it was for me for many years too, but you can learn to deal with the AV effectively...we can learn new tricks

Altho I didn't use it, thats what AVRT is all about

I found urge surfing was useful - and I also used a gratitude list

D