Notices

Anxiety

Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

I'm on day 11 here. It is a while since I had any serious time away from booze too, though my consumption was chronic rather than 'acute'. Still I drank every night - close to two bottles of wine at times (14%!) and even believed I enjoyed the relaxation that came with it, even if the day times when I was sober again became increasingly hellish over time.

I have been expecting a degree of calm to return after 11 days. Well in some ways it has. I notice I am able to concentrate better, focus on what I am doing and not be quite as ansty - considerably less soin fact.

However I am experiencing a very unpleasant anxiety sensation. It is almost physical in the pit of my stomach. And there are times when I feel really quite shaky with it.

I assumed, perhaps foolishly, that by now my nervous system would be returning to some sort of normality. I think I know that I need to be a little more patient it seems.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey mentium,

Anxiety is horrid, I too suffer, but take medication when its really bad, I think its about learning to use new techniques breathing, mindfulness, really hope you feel better soon xx
Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mentium - hang in there, it does get better as the days pass
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There isn't any set time period for lingering after effects of alcohol abuse. Everyone is different. Take good care of yourself and things will likely improve.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

11 days is really no time if you consider the years you have been polluting your body and brain... iam sure with time your nervous system will settle down just relax the body is an amazing organism!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Perhaps if I relax a bit...well I'll be relaxed instead of anxious!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol relaxes and if you've used it for quite some time, your brain adjusts to that. When you quit, your brain needs to re-adjust. Anxiety can be a symptom in that period. It will go away after a while.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is difficult and its very tricky because the fact you are concerned about your anxiety can possibly increase your anxiety. I have learned to deal with it, and choose to not take medication. I am lucky I think, in that I almost always manage it. There is a great book which is full of helpful tips and techniques "From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you read about PAWS? It comes in phases. I am definitely experiencing it, but knowing what it is helps me not panic. I am chalking it up to my brain figuring out how to operate without being soaked by booze.

One of the confusing things about early sobriety is that we are allover the map, understandably. I was not used to being uncomfortable, that was always covered up by ingesting alcohol. New sobriety is two pronged. We have changes going on physiologically because we have removed a very potent substance from our system, and we are aware of those changes occurring because we are sober. I think that combination is what leads us back to the bottle. The anxiousness of being uncomfortable. Anticipating that you are going to be anxious and uncomfortable can help remove some of the urgency from the situation. When it occurs, recognizing it, and thinking "oh, there is that feeling that I have heard described" can be really helpful.

That being said, if you are in significant distress, I would call a doctor. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Mentium, I am day 18. I too have been experiencing anxiety over the past day and 1/2. For me, I think my anxiety is directly attributed to finally experiencing some very unpleasant childhood memories, which I have have never addressed. Alcohol was my pacifier. I know for me to move forward in my life, I need to just sit through this extremely unpleasant stage and to listen to what my body and mind are trying to tell me. I also need to come to terms with the actual root cause of my anxiety. For me, although the anxiety is painful for now, I am glad I am feeling it and I am feeling it sober. I find it a bit freeing...
Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your comments. I met a new friend for a coffee this morning - someone I met at an AA meeting and we seemed to hit it off. We talked about this a bit and discussed the idea of a cycle of anxiety for drinkers. I know in my case one of the reasons alcohol appealed so much to me was the relaxing effect and the way it dissolved my anxiety - quite magically it seemed. Of course as you go deeper into dependency and become an alcoholic the drinking actually disarms the bits of brain chemistry that regulate the ability to remain calm and serene. It is one reason for that dependence. The end result is that one is even more anxious than one might 'naturally' be..I am by nature at least a bit on the anxious side. So we drink more to deal with the increasing anxiety which in turn creates more anxiety. A vicious circle.

I need, I think to wait until my physiology has returned to normal (or as normal as it can be after many years of alcohol abuse) and then take stock. If I still have unmanageable anxiety at that point then perhaps medication will be of help.

I will say though that things are already a bit easier on that score 12 days in.

Thanks once more.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has a good reputation solving anxiety problems. If it doesn't go away, I recommend you see your doctor and discuss the problem and treatment options.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
The end result is that one is even more anxious than one might 'naturally' be..I am by nature at least a bit on the anxious side. So we drink more to deal with the increasing anxiety which in turn creates more anxiety. A vicious circle.
That's a really good explanation

I had horrendous anxiety while I was still drinking, and frequent panic attacks. It all but disappeared when I quit, except like you I had the physical sensations. There was the burning and twisting pain in my stomach which I just assumed was some sort of ulcer or that my stomach lining had been eroded by all the booze (see username) and there was this empty feeling I got in my head. I went on about this a lot because it really really made me want to drink. As best I can figure out my anxiety has turned into a physical manifestation, which makes it harder to get rational on it (I used a lot of CBT techniques before I quit which really helped to calm my anxiety, rating it and things like that). I also have a habit of breaking out in hives when stressed. The thing is anxiety won't kill you, drink might though. And as well as the vicious cycle we have this absolute inability to tolerate discomfort. Anxiety is normal. Drinking excessively is not. I have learned to disassociate from my anxiety somewhat but first I had to identify it, which involves being honest with myself about stuff I would much rather go 'lalala I'm fine' about. I am trying to live with it because I am not sure we can completely rid our lives from anxiety. I am also reading a book called Of course you're anxious: Healthy ways to deal with worry, fear and stress in recovery. Even the title is calming me somewhat