Notices

Cirrhosis ! God no ..not ME :(

Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are having a rough time Snoozy. You are doing the right things like reaching out for support and reading your old posts (which works well for me too).
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Snoozy I relapsed 3 times after 6 months. It's totally normal for cravings to bite you in the butt after 7. But you know what? You are sooo much smarter/stronger/more wonderful than you were 7 months ago. The cravings go away. As long as you can stay sober, your progress continues and you continue to do better and feel better.

You can do this!!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Thank you dear friends xxx
Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

go snoozy, you can do this. I've been having a rough time too, my Dad passed away last month and things have been rough. You are a strong person, you've already proven that. Keep up the good work, your liver is depending on what you do (or don't do) next. Hugs to you.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

SnoozyQ....you have done such an amazing job and I am proud of you. Don't let this speed bump slow you down. Keep moving forward. You can do this.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

My father is most likely on his way out due to alcoholism, and it's stressing me the hell out, because he refuses to see a doctor. I decided to stop myself (6-8 beers and a pint of vodka every night for over a year, and a lot more beer before I went on the hard stuff), and it's hard as hell. It hasn't even been 48 hours since my last drink. Going through the motions, big time. Feeling real emotions sucks! I'm quitting at the most stressful time of my life but I'm doing it because I'm scared for my health (liver, kidneys, pancreas).. It got to the point where drinking was causing my body pain.

7 months is something I really look up to as I have never been sober for longer than a week, that I can remember. You're an inspiration to people like me.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

SnoozyQ, you are not your thoughts, nor are you your brain. Your brain unfortunately has had years of pathways rewired by drinking. It's going to take more time for new pathways to override the ones ruled by addiction. You are going through a healing crises, embrace it as going through recovery. There are no shortcuts, you can't go around it, over it, or under it. Stay strong and take a step back and be an observer instead of a participant.

Be cognitive of how your AV is fighting to stay in control; it’s threatened now that new pathways are forming that will eventually bypass its primal desire to fulfill its addiction cravings. You are winning and it is throwing a tantrum!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hey SnoozyQ, sorry to hear about the bad dreams. Forget about all that noise as soon as you can, nothing there worthwhile enough for you to worry over! You know, life loves a good challenge, and you have plenty, so you must have a pretty good life! Seriously! You really are an all that example of making right even when things are tough. You're awesome! Take it easy, Snoozy. I hope you have better dreams tonight and into all your tomorrows!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Snoozy keep faith my friend xx you've come do far and helped me and lots of others along the way.

We're here to be your crutch also. Take hold of my arm, baby steps together xxx

Lots of love coming your way. Mags xxxxx
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post

Be cognitive of how your AV is fighting to stay in control; it’s threatened now that new pathways are forming that will eventually bypass its primal desire to fulfill its addiction cravings. You are winning and it is throwing a tantrum!
That really resonated with me, "You are winning and the addiction is throwing a tantrum." So very true,its important to continue to fight it and you will feel fabulous the next day instead of pile of guilty ooze.

Your story has touched me and when my mind wanders to drink I think of your experiences and how mine could be similar if I continue the same path.

Stay strong and in you're resolve you will have triumphantly won this internal struggle it seems we all face once and awhile.

Stay strong and keeping posting on SR.

Many thanks.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Snoozy: you are doing a fantastic job. I know what you mean about crappy days. One of the things I looked for in recovery was a lot of spiritual reading material. There's a lot out there. I have found a great deal of help in dealing with crappy days with authors like Eckhart Tolle, Pema Chodrun and classics like Emmet Fox.
A lot of their material is actually about just that: crappy days and how we can adjust our attitude about them.
One of my favorites is "The Places that Scare you" by Pema C. Very helpful on crappy days!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

We alcoholics have to believe in a lie in order to pick up the first drink. You can do this. Stay strong, stay here, and thanks a lot for keeping us up to date. It's very inspiring! (I noticed it has 14,000+ views so I think its safe so say others agree)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I know how it feels, Snoozy. Last week I had a drinking dream that was shocking in its intensity, power and realism. It really rattled me, and I've been sober now for 16 months. When that happens I remind myself it's a dream, and the dream has no power over me. It's tempting to "read in" or take a dream as an omen but maybe it's better to take it as a warning. Think back to the time when you thought you were going to die of cirrhosis. I don't say that to scare you but to remind you. Remember the bargain you would have made then? You probably would agree to anything if only you could live. Well, that bargain was made as it's still in force! The Beast/AV is powerless, it can only beg. You run the show!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

You people are why this place SR works .

The support and friendship in here is amazing . Thank you so much to my old friends and to new ones who helped me .

Your words and encouragement got me through .

You are such a great bunch of people . I could never have got to 7 months without you

Much love xxx

Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

What a difference a day makes , huh ?

Sometimes, like Mecanix once told me, all I can do is just go to bed and wait it out until the craving passes. And they ALWAYS do. Good on you for protecting that hard earned time.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Luv ya snoozy. Hard stuff is hard....
Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Love you guys too

You are the best ;-))) xxx
Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I have a friend in recovery. The first time I saw him he was YELLOW and his abdomen was so bloated he looked like he was pregnant. I thought for sure this young man would be dead soon. Well he's been sober for over a year and looks fantastic! His liver and his kidneys were in such bad shape. Mind you, he can never drink again or he will die, but he's chosen to live.

My point is that you CAN recover from this! it's not a death sentence.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hi Snoozy Q,

I'm new here and I skimmed through your thread. It was clear to me that you were super scared when you thought your health may have suffered irreparable damage. Now that you're all better, you are becoming vulnerable to your cravings. Try and remember how scared you were when you thought your life was in danger. It's not worth caving in to temptation.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

i did it

ONE YEAR TODAY !

I needed to come back to read this post , to remind me of how far i have come .

When i wrote that a year ago today , i never thought i would be able to stop drinking and fully expected to cave after a few weeks at the most , even knowing i was dying .

IT CAN BE DONE and if i can do it , there is hope for every single one of you who think you cant

I could have died a sad lonely drunk :-(

I have regained my life back . My children call on me knowing i will always be sober. They have their Mum back :-) .
My husband has his wife ,
My parents have their child.

Life is good , i cant say it wasn't hard and trying at times , but you just have to fight through that.

It's true what they have said all along , it truly does get better the more sober time we have .

In a whole year , i have not heard one person who relapsed say " well that was great"

It's followed by remorse , guilt , self loathing , disappointment at yet another day 1 .

Life is great , it's what we make it and i will NEVER drink again.

My liver has improved , it really is an amazing organ and does regenerate , to a point , of course. My blood sugar is perfect , no more diabetes .

Nothing good cones from getting pissed . Nothing ...it rots us inside and out.

Every single day we don't drink , we heal our body and minds that bit more.

;-)

A huge thank you to my beloved JULYERS CLASS 2013 . I love every one of you dearly xx

Thank you everyone your posts saved my life , literally .

As i went through each one , i have come to love so many of you and hold you dear.

Those of you , from this , my day 1 post , hold a special place in my heart .

Holding my hand along the rocky times at the 4th & 7 month when i almost gave in .

THANKS MY SR FRIENDS .

NOONE will ever understand an alcoholic like a fellow alcoholic. You all just " got me " i felt safe .

I would encourage others to go back and read their first posts , it's quite poignant and scary to have been so messed up :-(

Thanks xxx

Much love