Notices

Craft beer snobbery

Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craft beer snobbery

I love this new commercial for Sam Adams. They basically trick a bunch of craft beer drinkers into thinking Sams is one of their micros. I love it not because I love Sam Adams (I did) but because it shows what most of us suspected while we were drinking and pontificating on our beer and wine; we drink to get drunk!! All beer and liquor is initially repellant... As a poison should be. We just acquire a taste for it so we can keep enjoying the alcohol. I would sit around and discuss the hops and malt like I was an expert with my buddies when really I was just in a race to finish and get another one.

This has been my thinking lately as I am on my 9th day. I don't even feel foolish saying this time, it's different. It's poison! I know it now and I'll never go back. Young, motivated, talented musicians don't get arrested for puking and passing out next to a drug store... That wasn't me, and it never will be. This time I want to encourage anyone who is just starting and really wants to stop: your life is worth it!!! Everything gets better. I feel amazing, like I got to go back a few years and feel like I did. Opportunities open up everyday, sometimes just little ones but I never would have noticed much less responded drunk. One of the best things is just noticing day by day all the things I would have missed out on being drunk all the time. Thanks to everyone here for the stories and advise. It helps! I anticipate posting my progress.

Btw... I gotta recommend Carr's book "the easy way to quit drinking". Eye opening, heard about it here!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ha! I hear ya! I am (was) such a wine snob. Except when I wasn't. Then, I'd drink anything resembling wine
Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are those that can truly enjoy a drink. But then there are people like me that would enjoy getting wasted. I played the part, wine tastings with wine aficionados. But the alcohol to me was a drug I couldn't control. It's behind me now. No more fancy wine tastings and those "friends " disappeared. But I no longer taste the wine and go home and drink bottles afterwards. Life is better sober. I wasted too many years trying to feed my addiction. Now it's time to make up for it. Carpe Diem.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Same here. I started out with fine wine and ended up with whatever was cheapest. Glad I'm not doing that anymore.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hahaha....yep I used to be that guy. Hmm very hoppy..well balanced with a hint of BS....oh it's 10% abv? I would have never guessed. I have a bunch of coworkers that are scotch snobs....it's pretty funny to hear them talk....oh very peaty. Ha....tastes great my ass...like when I accidently swallowed a bunch of gasoline when siphoning the tank...hmm what is that techron?....fantastic. I'll have another.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a wine drinker too. Ended up buying boxes of wine and always checking the alcohol content. 14% was a *yesssss*!

'Doh', is all I can say at this point...
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mentium me too. I used to enjoy nice bottles of wine say about 7 years ago - in recent times if it didn't matter the taste as long as it was at least 13.5%
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Hahaha....yep I used to be that guy. Hmm very hoppy..well balanced with a hint of BS....oh it's 10% abv? I would have never guessed. I have a bunch of coworkers that are scotch snobs....it's pretty funny to hear them talk....oh very peaty. Ha....tastes great my ass...like when I accidently swallowed a bunch of gasoline when siphoning the tank...hmm what is that techron?....fantastic. I'll have another.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Laughing!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AlcoHELL steals time as they say, stay sober and you feel like your gaining time.

1000th post yay me !!!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I forget where I first heard but here's a scenario - take the alcohol content out of craft beers, fine wines, expensive spirits, whatever. Can you imagine a restaurant full of people in suits and ties tasting the new "spicy, full bodied, with hints of cardamom and cherry" GRAPE JUICE?

"Oh yes this is a lovely vintage here - what did you do, bottle up the liquid drawn off of rotten fruit?"

It's alcohol content, bottom line.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was/am a fan of good beer and wine and single malt whiskey and ... It was all good, until I realized I was drinking it for the same reason, to get drunk. The amount of money I wasted on "fine" whatever really sickens me. Fermented berries and grains are all just dead plants to me!

As I take another sip of my fresh vegetable juice that makes me feel 100% charged. Why don't bars serve fresh fruit/vegetable juices. The juicing technology is amazing now.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Drink tea

I've met quite a few fellow tea drinkers who also appreciate a fine brew, but none of them, as far as I know, do it to get off their heads. Coffee on the other hand...
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I used to be a IPA snob too...I loved it all...Stone, Dogfish, Ranger, etc etc...I was putting a 12 pack away some times too. I had a beer belly for sure! The taste was what got me...and yea the high APV% was a plus too.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Afloat View Post
I've met quite a few fellow tea drinkers who also appreciate a fine brew, but none of them, as far as I know, do it to get off their heads. Coffee on the other hand...
Hey don't be hatin' on the coffee drinkers

I'm TRYING to get into tea more than coffee... not happening just yet. Lol!