Notices

How do you find joy?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you find joy?

Just curious to hear from everyone - now that you are sober, how are you finding joy? I'm sure most of us gave up our beloved hobbies while drinking, I know I did. What are you getting back into (or looking forward to getting back into) now that you are sober?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm still detoxing. I don't know who I'll be when this is done....
Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I sometimes take my dog to the beach. I read. I paint.
Life is good.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's real nice, Olive. What is your sobriety date?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've taken back up playing the guitar. I also find new little things each day that i was missing, just simple things like going to sports practice with my kids, working in the garden, cooking. Before those were all just things that got in the way of me drinking. Now i can actuallly spend time enjoying them.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's definitely the simple things in my life that bring me joy.

Music, books, chatting with a friend - things that I thought were boring when I drank are now things that make me happy.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I'm still detoxing. I don't know who I'll be when this is done....
That's understandable. Do you have any hobbies you are looking forward to picking up, again, once you feel up to it?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post

What are you getting back into (or looking forward to getting back into) now that you are sober?
sailing enjoyed while sober
bicycle riding enjoyed while sober
desert enjoyed while sober
hikes enjoyed while sober
model RC cars enjoyed while sober
family members enjoyed while sober
friends enjoyed while sober
our mountain view enjoyed while sober
Jacuzzi enjoyed in the middle of the night while sober (remembering the stars)
closer contact with God enjoyed while sober
Mountainman
Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It found me really.
I'm grateful for my life - I think joy springs from that

D
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Reading! I can focus on the page and read words and everything now

I am also, very slowly but steadily getting back into exercising. I suffered from frequent panic attacks in the last few years of my drinking which left me avoiding doing anything that elevated my heart rate. Now instead of associating it with fear and panic I am beginning to associate it with energy and exhilaration.

I also turned vegan which was a throwback to my vegetarian days before I really started drinking. I feel like I had it all right when I was 12 and think things would have turned out a lot different if I hadn't started drinking and stopping giving a sh;t about anything. My life feels more natural and authentic to me now.

I also feel much better about my introverted status. I need my alone time and I used to feel guilty about that like there was something wrong with me. A huge part of that guilt was the drinking though, and now I feel so much better about my choices in life.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

PippoRossi, on the 10th of this month 2 joyful things will happen. 2 years no cocaine and 2 years on SR. I'm 3 years no booze and a year with no cigarettes, improving my diet and and cutting out the sugar. I realize now that now that happiness, sadness, joy, and anxiety are feelings I choose weather I do it consciously are not. Getting of the chemicals is the easy part, changing behavior is the challenge. Rootin for ya.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
That's real nice, Olive. What is your sobriety date?

Funny, I used to think I was so creative when I had had a couple of drinks. In fact, I was pretty lousy. It took me a few years to get back into painting again. Now I love it.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Music - I've always loved music - anytime you walk into my house 9/10 times ill have music playing (sometimes blasting - I like to feel it lol) I think that's possibly one thing that is a therapy for me.

I used to read a lot - I've read a book and a half since I stopped drinking. I'm still finding it hard to sit still long enough though but I guess in time my concentration will come back to me.

For a long time drink was my so called happiness - so I have a bit of soul searching to do. Kinda don't know why but sometimes I just have this sadness inside me that has me killing myself in some way - it's always been between starving myself or alcohol abuse - I'm not doing either right now though. Peace in myself would be magic sober pain free peace and calm - dunno how possible it is for me lol anyway - enough said lol I do ramble!!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I actually am finding joy in having a clean home for once. I am also finding joy is blending juice drinks, reading SR, saving money, looking and feeling a lot better about myself, being more focused on my work, and waking up each morning not hungover and feeling anxious and depressed. I also find joy in looking forward to tomorrow!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Four seasons I like having a clean home - it was always clean but at least I'm not hungover while cleaning now or cleaning like a mad women to perfection just to try and prove alcohol wasn't a problem for me!

Waking up sobers good too - no regrets - I still have things and people I need to address but I'm not ready yet.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I understand
Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Reading. Oh my, how I love it!! And simple things like weeding my flower beds, cleaning my house, playing with my dogs. All the things I used to take for granted I truly enjoy now.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Joy is elusive for me, even in long periods of sobriety. I settle for contentment.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
Four seasons I like having a clean home - it was always clean but at least I'm not hungover while cleaning now or cleaning like a mad women to perfection just to try and prove alcohol wasn't a problem for me!
Definitely can relate to this! Mine wasn't the cleanest though. Haha! I wouldn't clean every day, but it would get messy then I'd go through the house in a whirlwind... no wonder I hated cleaning!! Nowadays I am learning to clean a little bit each day so it doesn't pile up. I really take pride in having a house that is clean and organized.

Other things for me... reading, writing, exercise (moderate, not crazy frantic over-exercising that I used to do), grocery shopping isn't so bad as I used to think it was, meditating, and volunteering.

And one of my favorite things is to take walks after dinner with my husband and the cats. The cats come along with us
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Salsa and bachata, Zumba, lol cats. Definitely lolcats.