Notices

How do you find joy?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I haven't gotten to joy yet...still trying to get to work-a-day contentment and meaning.

But, I'm chiming in anyway because I've been thinking a lot lately about the theory that part of what makes us modern-day first-world citizens feel so desperate and fraught with ennui is our cultural focus on finding happiness. I'd like everyone to be happy, of course, but maybe looking for happiness isn't the way to find it. Maybe you look for something else...service, sacrifice, sea monsters, whatever, and happiness is what you're sometimes lucky enough to find along the way.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm finding joy in the fact that I can actually do things now that I couldn't before. I go to the movies or dinner every Friday. I can go wherever I want and do whatever I want. I really enjoy the fact that on weekends I'm the same person at the end of the day that I was at the beginning. I wasn't before quitting, that's for sure.

Not sure if this will make any sense to you but not only will you find your joy, you will find joy just in the simple fact that you truly found out what that really is and not just at the bottom of a container.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tennis, running, MMA, swimming - getting back into triathlon training again. Looking forward to ski season.

Oh yeah, sleeping.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hmm...interesting question. I don't remember having joy but rarely, even before I drank (in fact, the search for something other than anxiety and depression resulted in trying alcohol/drugs). To feel anything would take extremes, like skydiving - absolutely the best experience of my life.

My counselor and I were just talking about this today and, as it turns out, it might just be that I need fine tuning. I don't 'hear' my own inner turmoil until it's bellowing and, likewise, I don't register good feelings unless they're extreme.

So, my challenge now is to learn to listen better, to dial in, and fine-tune my ability to feel the more subtle experiences. It's so nebulous it kind of pisses me off, but it's a skill like any other so....I think I can, I think I can.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieB View Post
but maybe looking for happiness isn't the way to find it. Maybe you look for something else...service, sacrifice, sea monsters, whatever, and happiness is what you're sometimes lucky enough to find along the way.
I agree with this. And I find joy in hippos, btw Also, cats!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No half measures

Being able to do anything I want without having to factor alcohol into the activity
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm the oddball sober one surrounded by addicts. But in my little world, joy comes to me obviously in my children, being more detailed, their smiles that really bring joy, joy, joy down in my heart. My addiction is their smile.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The sunrise, the sunset, the night sky, the crisp feel of the air, seeing the dogs happy now that I walk them several times a day, laughing while watching the dogs play and swim at the dog park, hanging out with my daughter and not seeing disgust in her eyes, being able to drive at anytime of the day or night...the list goes on and on, it is the simple things.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Just curious to hear from everyone - now that you are sober, how are you finding joy? I'm sure most of us gave up our beloved hobbies while drinking, I know I did. What are you getting back into (or looking forward to getting back into) now that you are sober?
Although, newly sober, I'm finding joy in the little things. In particular, I find a lot of contentment in going to bed sober and waking up without a hangover, and no regrets.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I was walking my beloved puppy yesterday, and instead of taking the path, we walked through a field. I started to sing a song from my favorite movie "A Star is Born" with Barbra Streisand (no judgments . Out loud, to the top of my lungs, in the middle of a wide open field, surrounded by people, and I started to twirl. The sky was that delicious type when Indian summer is on the precipice, there was a cool breeze, and I was f@cking sober.

If I died, right at that moment, it would have been ok.

That's how totally filled with unimaginable happiness I was.

Ahhhhhh. Life.

XO AO
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Reading (the last time I read a book was four years ago), watching movies, watching Jay Leno (it comes on at ten thirty and I was always passed out by nine for last thirteen years) walking, shopping--and this after only forty one days of sobriety--the possibilities in the future are endless! I haven't played guitar in years and want to pick that up again.

Except I will never will want or enjoy cleaning house (not while drunk and not while sober)--I suck at it!

Hey--just waking up in the morning is a whole different experience
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Playing guitar. I did it while drinking, but not nearly as much and I really wasn't getting any better. Now I'm part of a bluegrass circle that gets together once a week.
Spend more time with my family and fixing stuff around the house.
Also exercise almost every day now. Run about 12-15 miles a week after work. (awesome for getting rid of any anxiety)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So far @ 24 days sober

Reading and remembering what I've read!, Swimming, Snorkeling

On the wish list

Scuba diving, travelling to new countries, climbing, driving cars, motorbikes.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh, thought of another one!
The weatherman just said rain for tomorrow! Love the sound of rain!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Spending time with those that experience constant, simple joy every day - kids and dogs.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Almost at a year sober and for me I went back to cycling. A year ago I was drunk every day. I couldn't even dream of being sober. Now my weekends are free to jump on the bike and ride. For me it's the ultimate therapy. Problems disappear and life seems so easy. I'm training for my first century ride ever. Alcohol was stopping me from living, but not anymore.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm back into twanging the guitar (trust me, it's twanging), back into animal rescue, just signed up for a course to become a counsellor and with the money I've saved, I'm about to buy a mountain bike.
Really feel like I'm 'me' again - it is SO worth dumping the liquid poison!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who commented. Your posts are so very lovely! As for me, just over one year of sobriety and I'm slowly but surely trying to get back into the things I used to love: reading, listening to music, cooking/baking, keeping a tidy home.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just like to add.. when 2 petrified kittens, come out from behind the couch and purr when they see you - now THAT is joy
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
The first day is the hardest

im looking to take up some hobbies on my road to recovery