Notices

Day 21, back to feeling sick

Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 21, back to feeling sick

Hi,

I'm on day 21 and the past week or so I was feeling pretty ok, except for being very tired and sleeping a lot.

Just now I started to feel sick again. Headache, nausea, feeling cold yet sweating a bit. And even more tired than before. It feels like the initial withdrawal symptoms I had, but so far milder (fortunately).

Is this normal? I do know that I somehow "felt" (intuitively) that there was still more of the mess that the drinking caused left behind in my body. And that my body needs to flush that out. It feels like over the years all this mess has accumulated deeply and in every part of my body and that the deepest parts still need to come out.

Is this even medically correct and/or possible?

In any case, it seems I'm in for another round of withdrawal and it gets worse as I'm typing this.

Is this a common thing in recovery, another round of detoxing and withdrawals?

J.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is it possible you might be coming down with flu?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not the flu season so I don't think so. I've only had a mild flu once when I was a child, but from what I remember it felt very different than I'm feeling now.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

some days we just feel off.
Try not to worry about it. find the gratitude in 21 days.
Amazing.
Trust me it gets better. but not everyday is rosy.
I have days where i feel like moping or nuseaous but i am grateful it isnt from booze
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can get flu all year round
Just seems weird to get withdrawals now, as it will all be out of your system.
Have you accidentally ingested alcohol - in food or anything?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, no alcohol at all. I've been very careful about that.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On my day 22 and I'm totally sick! Chaulking it up to a summer cold myself.

Don't question it, says me. Push through and we will come out the other end feeling better and sober.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'll see what happens.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It might be completely unrelated to quitting drinking James. If you are concerned you could ask your doctor. Congrats on 21 days!. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Oh yes my friend. I swore days -18-23 were some of my hardest since 1-4. I'm at 30 now and can unequivocally state that if its related to your sobriety it will get better.

The liver is a funny little thing. My experience was that as it healed, it would periodically release a toxin dump that would render me all but useless. I expect as it continues to heal, I will hAve this again and again for some time to come.

Stay vigilant. If you go back to drinking now, it's imperative to realize that you will effectively UNDO every bit of healing up until this point.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had the same thing at three weeks, James. It's not to say that it isn't the flu and if you're still feeling crappy, go to the doctor, but I agree with AO on this too. I got sick three weeks in and think it was most likely related to another round of toxins leaving my system. It'll pass. Glad you're staying sober and congrats on three weeks!!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

years of abuse can leave our immune system weak as a kitten.
It's very common for people to get sick once they get sober.

I'd go see your Dr and get checked out - if it turns out you're not sick with the flu or whatever at least you can then eliminate that as a possibility.

D
Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Firstly I think it's a nessasity to get an annual physical with full disclosure of alcohol history.

This is by no means medical advise just my expierence. Right about 3-4 weeks in I had very similar expierences. Went to the DR and it turned out my blood sugar was very low as was my blood pressure. Which is not uncommon for people who quit drinking. I was lucky and needed no medical interventions. Just added high protien snacks nuts egg whites, and had to stand up slowly from a seated or laying down position. I didn't take long for my body to regulate though and it quickly past.

Call your dr make an appointment it's not a bad idea even if symptom free.
Congrats on 3 weeks !!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi james,

I had to think back and now I realize that where I was hardly ever sick when I was drinking, that within the first 30 days of sobriety I had one of the worst colds I've ever had. My theory is when I was drinking I was so toxic that the germs didn't even want anything to do with me.

The cold I had was pretty strange too. Just before it hit a woman that works with me asked me if I was ok because I wasn't looking too great. I felt wiped and just attributed it to what my body was going through. A few days later in the middle of the day I felt like my upper chest was full and I started coughing. Odd too that all my life I have typically woken up with a cold and this one came on like it did in the middle of the day.

Suffice it to say that it was such a mean cold that I was hacking so much I separated my chest muscle from my rib and that was pretty painful.

I think Dee is right, our immune systems are compromised. Our body is working so hard to heal that it's not paying attention to those sneaky little virus buggers.

I hope you feel certain soon but as you always know, if something feels really off get checked out.

It does my heart good too see how well you're doing (outside of feeling like yuck). I'm so happy for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! This is such a great group of people!

I had a great night of sleep and feel a bit better. Still a slight headache, nausea, lack of appetite, fatigue and mild stomach pains. Probably it will get a bit worse in the evening, just like my detox symptoms when I first quit. But at this point I'm not concerned whatever it is, since it's very mild and I can function just fine.

Also, next week I have an appointment with my internist. For those who didn't read my other thread, my internist had a lot of test done on me to check my overall health and to see if there's anything that needs attention because of my drinking in the past. Next week we'll discuss the results of the tests. So I'm getting intensive medical attention for the alcohol related stuff.

So if what I'm feeling now stays mild, I'll just wait until that appointment and mention it then. Otherwise I'll call my doc. It feels like part of the detoxing and healing process. I suppose my body has a lot of adjusting to do to get back to health and some of it will probably be a bit uncomfortable.

I can say one thing: I will never drink again.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you feel brighter today james x
Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Seems like you are doing everything right James. Glad you feel a bit better.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time James.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just wanted to tell you that there IS summer flu...i'm 2+ years sober and last week almost instantly got ill, nausea, vomiting, lower GI distress and a cough/congestion that won't quit...i sounded worse than my dog barking when i cough.

I'm pretty tolerant to most viruses, I work in a hospital, but this really knocked my on my buttisimo, i spent a day in bed, dragged myself into work one day 1/2, then back to bed. tea, seltzer, juice helped.
hope you feel better (wash your hands~lol)