Notices

I'm new!!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new!!

Hello all!! I would like to start today as a sober day. I do not want to completely cut alcohol out of my life, but would like to moderate my drinking and not binge like I have been in the last year. Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes, try and go just this weekend without anything.
It is just one weekend. Can you do it.
thats the answer to moderation
Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard ineedhelp x
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ineedhelp78 View Post
I do not want to completely cut alcohol out of my life, but would like to moderate my drinking and not binge like I have been in the last year. Any suggestions?
I know of no techniques that will turn an alcoholic into a moderate drinker. Perhaps you aren't an alcoholic...that's your call. I'm thinking if you were able to control your drinking, you would have already done so.

I understand that total sobriety is a hard concept to grasp, but believe me, it's easier for me to not drink than is to try to drink just one or two.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome ineedhelp,

I have tried moderating for years and it just plain didn't work for me. When I pick up that first drink the rest is history. I binged drank on the weekends for 8 years and if you would like to call that moderation that take it for what it is worth. I however, knew that drinking was a huge problem for me and I finally admitted to myself that I was an alcoholic who could not drink normally.

I hope you stick around and gain some insight. You have found a great place for support if you are ready to quit.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome ineedhelp, I have no suggestions on how you can moderate your drinking. This is something i tried to do many times. I was never able to moderate for very long before i was back to drinking crazy amounts. I had to accept that i cant moderate or drink any alcohol at all. This is because i am an alcoholic. Lots of support and advice here if you choose to quit drinking. Best wishes to you.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really need to do this for my family. I have been hiding the drinking from my husband and if he finds out then I think he might divorce me. I'm in therapy for past bullying problems and secrets of I have finally exposed to my hubby last month. Today I feel like crap because I drank 1/2 a pint of vodka and an airplane bottle of Rumplemintz. This isn't a reward anymore!!! I want to lose some weight, get back into running and exercising, become more spiritual on my life and be somebody! I've been sick in front of my kids, nasty to my husband and have blacked out many times lately. I think a 12-step program could do me good.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, ineedhelp. Welcome aboard. I too thought I could handle moderate drinking, just this past weekend after 11 days sober. There is no such thing as moderation if you have issues with alcohol, it will always rear it's ugly head. Now I'm starting again today and beating myself up, I could have been at the 2 week mark today, but am back at day 1
Just the fact that you are posting means you want to make changes. That's awesome!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you really believe you can moderate your drinking and keep alcohol in your life?. Hiding your drinking and blacking out is very serious. These are major red flags. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. If you are drinking this much now it will most likely only get worse unless you decide to stop drinking and work at recovery. If the idea of not drinking anymore is too overwhelming right now just focus on not drinking today. Glad you are here posting.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi. When we stop drinking we have to do it for ourselves. When we do stop many things you mention will fall into place and you can become happy, joyous, and comfortable in your own skin. Many are doing it each day by not picking up the first drink and being honest about our drinking. There is a great deal of hope and help here on these pages along with encouragement. I got mine from AA years ago and it's still works for millions worldwide. BE WELL
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can so do this! I am glad you are opening up. It is a great start. My DOC was vodka and I can't tell you how many tons of gallons of that stuff I drank over the years. It wasn't fun and it sure wasn't the reward that I though it was. You can get your life back if you truly want it back. I am beginning to regain some of my life back and I can't tell you how great it feels.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been battling to moderate my drinking for years, I'm 24 and suddenly it seems to have kicked in that I want to help myself. People have tried in the past to help me, begged & pleaded with me. Sadly it came to making myself very very ill to kick me into touch. Only 48 hours sober so far but, gentle steps. I'm new on here today too - so much help, support and guidance. Sorry to gatecrash this thread. Just so good to know I'm not alone.
Love & energy to all 😌
Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jkb

Eat before you start drinking, drink water in between drinks and stop at three drinks no matter what. Oh yeah, take 30 days off of drinking entirely... no 60 days.

Anyway none of it worked for me. I had to just quit drinking entirely. But I tried all the above. Good luck with moderation though.

Jess
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think a 12-step program could do me good.
Wow, refreshing to see someone that will give it a try.
It was the only thing that worked for me.
and i tried everything to get out from under.
my kids needed me back again. and they have a GREAT father now
Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was drinking the person having the second (or 3rd, 4th, etc) was a different person than the person who had the first drink.

The only way I can control my drinking is not to have the first one, after that all bets are off.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love that phrase, "The only way I can control my drinking is not to have the first one, after that all bets are off." Yep, that's the way it is.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
The only way I can control my drinking is not to have the first one, after that all bets are off.
Me Too!! Welcome to SR!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I really need to do this for my family. I have been hiding the drinking from my husband and if he finds out then I think he might divorce me. I'm in therapy for past bullying problems and secrets of I have finally exposed to my hubby last month. Today I feel like crap because I drank 1/2 a pint of vodka and an airplane bottle of Rumplemintz. This isn't a reward anymore!!! I want to lose some weight, get back into running and exercising, become more spiritual on my life and be somebody! I've been sick in front of my kids, nasty to my husband and have blacked out many times lately. I think a 12-step program could do me good.
After reading your post, I think sobriety might serve you better than moderation.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I wish moderation were that easy.. if it were I don't think any of us would be here. I wish you nothing but the best!