Notices

hi

Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi

Hi all. My name is Brian. I have a chronic drinking problem, and I need to stop. I drink way too much and I don't like it. Help me stop. How do I tell my wife that I have a drinking problem? I have 2 young children, I want to stop drinking to help them. I am a good parent, I just drink way to much. Help me please.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I think the choice to quit is a wise one.

Originally Posted by Stuntrider666 View Post
How do I tell my wife that I have a drinking problem?
If you have what you call a "chronic drinking problem" what are the chances that your wife doesn't know?

Assuming she doesn't know, what are your reasons for telling her? Does she drink? Are you worried about events where drinking is the focus?

Chances are she'll appreciate hearing you are making the choice to be a better, sober dad.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR stuntrider
Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Welcome to SR Stuntrider,

I'd just emphasis what doggonecarl is saying in regards to your wifes position to your alcoholism. There are lots of different recovery methods. The first step in all of them is admitting you have a problem. Some of the main players are Alcoholics Anonymous, SMART, and Rational Recovery. There are dedicated sections on this website and tons of information regarding all of them on Google.

It doesn't really matter what method you use to get and stay sober, it just matters that it works for you. I go to Narcotics Anonymous, which spawned from Alcoholics Anonymous. It's just what works for me, it might not work for others. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. If you really want it, today can be the first day of your new life.

Natom.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. There is much information on this forum and on other forums here. The above info is accurate for the path to sobriety. We need to stop primarily for ourselves and then we/things will get better. One of the tools for this is being honest with ourselves as often in a few days our heads try to convince us "it wasn't that bad and other BS." The main way to sobriety is not to pick up the first drink so we don't have to get sober AGAIN.
BE WELL
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Brian! There are lots of ways to quit. The easiest is not to pick up a drink. That sounds stupidly simple, but it is a trick I am learning.

On a more straightforward note, perhaps there are several 'paths' you could take, all of which are represented here one way or another. AVTR (Addictive Voice Recognition), SMART recovery - a rational planned approach and AA of course. If you dig around on this site you will see lots about them all.

Personally I need the company of other people who are trying to quit. That means AA for me, warts and all.

Why not say a little more about your situation. I find it slightly puzzling that your wife isn't aware you have this problem, for example.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there I found for me the first few days I did not tell anyone , I am only on day 10 and have not told many people yet. I think its more important to just do it and see who notices , then talk about it. Just my experience. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR stuntrider - you'll find a lot of support here

if you're looking for as much help as you can find, there's many different approaches and methods of recovery around too - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D