Notices

My alcoholic brain

Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My alcoholic brain

I've only noticed how stupid some of my thought processes are now that Im not drinking - I'm getting my living room decorated - and the thought came into my head 'wouldn't it be nice to sit and have a drink later and admire it'

WHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTT??????? Lol.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always used to drink a can (or 4) or lager when I was decorating and wonder why the start of the decorating always looked better than the final bits
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you looked at the Secular Thread? The one that contains discussions about Rational Recovery (RR) and the idea of the Addictive Voice (AV) and Addictive Voice Recognition Technique? (AVRT)

That was your AV whispering in your ear, "mmm wouldn't it be nice if....."

Might be worth having a look and if you have already then my apologies
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ha yes I know this so well. I felt it the other day when I got a nice big fat new Fall preview magazine in the mail - "Ahh wouldn't it be so nice to throw back a couple glasses of wine and enjoy this new magazine..." WHAT??

Goddamn Beast always looking for a window of opportunity.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep it's a clever little bugger isn't it! Luckily Zoe its not me decorating lol...

I'm gonna look at that board because AA it's just not for me. I've thought about it and I think there's another way for me. Will try and get time later to read. Bit of a mad house here just now lol
Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Ha yes I know this so well. I felt it the other day when I got a nice big fat new Fall preview magazine in the mail - "Ahh wouldn't it be so nice to throw back a couple glasses of wine and enjoy this new magazine..." WHAT??

Goddamn Beast always looking for a window of opportunity.
I know what's so nice about it lol it's a petty excuse
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lol.

Yesterday, I experienced the AV as an actual outsider for the first time. Like the little devil on my shoulder. I didn't crave a drink, didn't think I deserved one, was not fantasizing about the taste, but when I went to the grocery store at 5pm, this voice said. There's the liquor store. Why don't you pop in there? That's what you do when you go to the store this time of night. WTF? Where did that come from? That was just weird.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with misspond about AVRT. I can't get myself to go for AA either, and AVRT is a whole 'nother toolkit to help us. I completely understand about the sneaky thoughts that pop into our heads. We may never be completely rid of them, but I trust what others say about the frequency and intensity decreasing the longer we ignore them.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can notice a difference in intensity now that I've a couple of weeks sober - say for example when I was drinking - it wasn't just a fleeting wee thought or suggestion - it was full blown YOU BLOODY WELL BETTER GET TO THAT SHOP AND GET ALCOHOL Lol and it didn't give up!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

If modern medicine ever does come up with a pill that would allow alcoholics to drink like normal people, the first thing My Alcoholic Brain would want to do with it, would be to see how "NORMAL" I could get.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AV chats all the time. "Hey, it's nearly time for the kids to go to bed....", "Hey later tonight? When you've tidied up....?" But it's so helpful to recognise it's not the rational me, it's the addicted part. But I think the best part is understanding that if you listen and take notice and act in the way it wants you to, THAT's why you're not in control. Because you're not, it is. Anyway, hope you get to enjoy your newly decorated home with a delicious juice or tea x
Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

AV can be defined as any thought that leads to or suggests drinking or even that makes drinking appear as a positive thing for me. An important extension to this definition is the understanding that doubt in myself and lack of confidence in my ability to get and stay sober is also AV.

A useful thing happens when I take this understanding and simply and mindfully recognize these thoughts as they happen for what they are - my addiction doing the only thing it can do, pushing me to get that rush of pleasure, that buzz and numbness, that avoidance of uncomfortable truths.

These thoughts have no ability to control my actions, because I do that. Since these thoughts are powerless, they don't really make me nervous or panicky at all anymore. They come and then they go, all by themselves, and I am still here. Sober and content. Enjoying myself, and in joy in myself.

Onward!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for the clarification Freshstart57. I'm brand new to AVRT but I love the concept, love the realisation that I am in control and that the thoughts are actually something "other" than me.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah see I KNOW 110% I don't ever want to drink again. I really don't - it made me so miserable and stole so many of my years but I still have this niggle in my head 'I wonder if I can really not drink forever' and I'm glad you said that's AV too because I was worrying about it. Is your AV a bit like your subconscious mind? Is that what it is - going on in the background?
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Misspond, I think you have the recognition and separation aspects of AVRT down stone cold already, and it sounds as though you have used some aspects of this in the past in beating your other addictions. I am sure you will succeed here too.

Well done, and congratulations to you!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Before I quit I needed no reason other than I was not at work and I was awake.

Now I have no urge to drink except once in a while on a Sunday at around five in the afternoon it hits me that after a long hard weekend I bet this is when normal people have a drink..lol