Notices

Morning

Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Morning

I was looking for a chat room to see peoples ideas on how to resist temptation. Being a former alcoholic and drug addict when I got off of those (20 yrs ago) and picked up anything with sugar in it. I feel I am more addicted to sugar than anything else Ive done. Its really bad because I have been insulin diabetic type II since 2004, but I don't care if sugar is bad for me as long as I get my fix, but its a fix that will go on all day. My blood sugars have been up to over 500 which you can go into a coma and possibly die. I have told my doctor, nutritionist and diatician but it does nothing. Ive tries a million's of times. To make things worse the floor below me has vending machines. I will tear my place apart looking for change and if I can't find any I will borrow a $ from one of my friends in the building. I dont have any support. HELP!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you looked into over eaters anonymous (OA). Blood sugar levels that high are shockingly dangerous, not just coma levels but kidney shut down levels. If you've beaten addiction before surely you can do this
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I totally understand sugar addiction. I feel for you. Have you talked to your doctor about it? Have you seen a dietician? Congrats on the 20 years of sobriety and welcome to SR!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering. And sugar is everywhere, so it is not like you can avoid it as easily as alcohol. I don't have any specific ideas for you. I think ImperfectlyMe has a good idea. I imagine sugar is a huge issue for OA and people there will have tons of coping strategies. Good luck. And be well.