Notices

Driving under the influence

Old 09-04-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Driving under the influence

Everyday drivers are arrested for driving under the influence, or driving while intoxicated, as law enforcement agencies continue to crackdown on these dangerous offenders. For many of these drivers, it will not be their first DUI offense.
What is the penalty for DUI?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

depends what state your in. If you get a DUI in California for example...you can expect to pay 10,000 dollars total in fines, court fees, etc etc...

You can spend some jail time too.

I have 2 DUIs and my insurance is sky high...another consequence too.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

States vary and the law is full of loopholes. If you have status and the money it's sad what you can get away with. Just recently here a 4 time DUI offender plowed into a family riding bicycles. The father died and the 2year old son was in critical care for quite some time.

This man also was driving with a conditional license. No alcohol use. Go figure. Four DUIs and they think a conditional license is a deterrent?

He was arrested and the bail set at $100k with the stipulation that he had to put up the bail it couldn't come from a family member. Easily taken care of, his father deposited the money into his account. People were up in arms and they finally decided to look into it and revoked the bail.

It took this person killing someone to get him off the road.

I vote for ZERO tolerance while driving. Screw this .08 crap. It only takes once to kill someone. I had a DTE (driving to endanger) that should have been a DUI. One of my reasons for quitting drinking was that I swore I would never get behind the wheel of a car when I shouldn't. Yeah, great judgement on my part. Two weeks prior to quitting I drove home when I had no business being on the road. Our minds are sick when we're under the influence.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I meant to add that Maine touts having the toughest drink driving laws in the nation. They need to add to the end of that.... unless you have money and a good lawyer.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cought my first dui last year and currently have a interlock device in my car. There has been times were I go to start my car and it automatically locks out on me due to the alcohol content in my body. 4 days sober and counting
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had one DUI that precipitated me really giving sobriety all I had. In CT I was offered an alcohol education program and a madd panel for a good amount of money. I truly feel so grateful because the consequences could've been so much worse. I'm almost done w the program & the conviction won't go on my record unless I mess up before 3/2014. Every state is different but I think they will only get tougher as time goes on.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On 28 Jan this year I was pulled over. I have no excuse and I am not trying to put up a defence in any way. I blew .218. The magistrate or arresting policemen at the time could barely believe I was conscious, never mind driving and also presenting in a very presentable manner (i.e. walking in a straight line)to the RBT booze bus.

I'm 46 kg. I was arrested at 4pm. My last drink was at 4:15 am. As I say, i'm guilty as charged. I don't blame my weight or the amount or rather lack of I had to eat. I blame me. I blame me because I am an alcoholic. I am glad I didn't kill a human being. No what what country or State, the best State to be in, is a sober one!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My job before I quit to take care of my children was a support worker to those with aquired injuries. Alot of the people I worked with in the group home were people involved in car accidents (peg fed, massive brain injuries etc.) Watching families destroyed and grieving over what they had lost. That's always kept me from drink driving. One client I worked with the whole time I worked in this job 5 yrs, was the direct result of a drunk driver, wonderful woman and fiercly independant, and amazingly forgiving of the person who did it. I couldn't imagine how it would feel to be responsible for that....

I also have a friend who repeatedly had DUI's took at least 4 times (that I know of) of going to court and getting licence revoked and being threatened with jail before he stopped. I definitely think that the laws are too lenient. But that's just my opinion of course.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Aliceria - are you really in Tamil Nadu, India? In which case I would have no idea

But I would say that the penalty for causing an accident in which you injure another human being or creature would be a torment you experience inside of yourself. . . . I know people who have gone through DUI bureaucratic nightmares - the jail time, halfway houses, classes, breathalyzer in car - but they are always thankful that no one got hurt.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlefVavResh View Post
Aliceria - are you really in Tamil Nadu, India? In which case I would have no idea

But I would say that the penalty for causing an accident in which you injure another human being or creature would be a torment you experience inside of yourself. . . . I know people who have gone through DUI bureaucratic nightmares - the jail time, halfway houses, classes, breathalyzer in car - but they are always thankful that no one got hurt.
I've lived in Tamil Nadu and a lot of other places in India. The system is v v crude. Tamil is actually one of the toughest ( apart from Goa and Himichal) due to the Western influence and tourists (I'm not sure about Kerela but it's probably not far off). Are you a Westerner? I'm not there now but it's still not like other Asian countries, Baksheesh is still the way forward I believe, does depend where a bouts in Tamil though. A main city like Mysore would v much differentiate from somewhere like Ooty. My friends mum so happens to be the president of Ooty. if by any lucky chance it happened there please pm me.