Notices

National Recovery Month in September

Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

National Recovery Month in September

Just found out September is National Recovery Month according to SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).

I found out there is a 5K walk/run followed by a fair on Saturday the 14th, about an hour drive from where I live. I'm thinking of attending

What are you going to do to celebrate? What are your thoughts on "celebrating" and recognizing a whole month as recovery month? I'm thinking it is another step toward lessening the stigma attached to addictions and mental illness. Can you think of any reasons why it's not a good idea?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to see you still around Jenny! Since I'm freshly back my only plan for celebrating Sept is to stay sober. But i think its awesome that there are recognition type public events out there for folks in recovery. There's a certain stigma attached with living sober in a society that widely celebrates drinking. It's nice to have sober celebration of any sort! I hope you do go and let us know how it was!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

There is a recovery advocacy movement that's supposed to come to life tomorrow. Waiting for details to come via email tomorrow. This spawned out of that recovery movie The Anonymous Ones.

We shall see. Outside of that, plans to remain sober day by day