Notices

First Post

Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Today will be my first attempt at getting sober. I have drank daily in the evenings for the past six or so years. Anywhere from 8-12 a evening. I have to admit that a lot of people's detox stories are horrifying to me. Does everyone go through that much agony and discomfort?

What are any tips that may help as I progress through this process?

BTW, I'm new to this site and not even sure if I'm posting correctly.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi There and welcome to our community. Congratulations for making a decision to stop drinking. I never had any physical discomfort when I stopped drinking but have heard that if you suffer any physical discomfort you should seek medical attention.
Stick around and continue reading through the forums.........there's lots of information here. Hope you continue posting.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us. Detox can be unpredictable and dangerous. It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox.

I have found SR to be a lifeline and I think it's a great idea to come here to read and post to help you through the process.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Squine. As a binge drinker I never experienced a serious detox--so I have no experiences to share However, if you are consuming 6 - 12 drinks everyday, you should talk with your Dr. about your attempt to quit.

Keep us updated.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Welcome Squine,

My complete drinking career is over 40 years. Many attempts at moderation, which work for a little while, and then always end up worse than before.

After a 3 1/2 year relapse I have been sober since March 21 of this year (167 days). I was averaging at least 10 per day (mostly beer). Sometimes 12 to 16 with wine and margaritas thrown in (terrible combination hangover).

It takes your body and mind awhile to adjust. I worried because I could not sleep well for several weeks. Then I worried because I was sleeping too much.

Eating well and taking some multi-vitamins is helpful. Lots of healthy liquids like orange juice, and fruit punch. I mix crushed ice and juice in my blender several times a day. Also, there are some good caffeine free nighttime teas that are relaxing if you have problems sleeping.

The main thing is when you start feeling better don't listen to your AV when it tells you you're cured and can handle "just one."

Good Luck and wlcome to SR!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's always a good idea to see a doctor for medical help in getting safely thru withdrawals. If you can't do that, do you have someone to stay with you the first few days in case you need emergency help. They can call for help if necessary.

Congrats on deciding to get sober. I've been sober going on four years now and never felt better.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree. See your doctor for the physical portion of this journey. And check in here often, often for psychological support. Welcome!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you here Squine. You found a wonderful place for friendship and support.