Notices

A New Life - Day One Sober

Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A New Life - Day One Sober

I just sent the following to my closest friends and family. It's time to regain control of my life - and for me - that means coming clean!

Hey gang - I'm sending you this (individually) in an effort to address my personal struggle with alcohol. As a result, I’m writing this public declaration of my commitment to living a sober life. If left unchecked – I know that alcohol will lead to the loss of my life – in more ways than just being alive. Being alcoholic is not a thing you can easily quantify and compartmentalize and put “over there” so you can get on with your life. Being alcoholic colors every waking moment of your life – I have a demonstrated history, a clear Achilles heel and I have to manage some sort of life going forward knowing this. I want to once again uncover the “me” who embraces a happy and meaningful existence without needing to plan my schedule around drinking. Placing an emphasis on my own self-preservation, I have chosen to publicize my journey to sobriety to the people who will help me along my way - or who have been there. Unfortunately, I am unable to “have just one” and realize there are no appropriate excuses to substantiate choosing “escapism” with the use of booze. So, with a conviction of recapturing a life without alcohol, I ask you to keep my efforts in your thoughts – and understand that my desire to be sober is something I hope you will respect when I’m around you. I don’t want it to be a big secret – so I’m throwing it out on the table. I’ll be the guy drinking a Coke! I am not embarrassed by my inability to “control” my use of alcohol – and that is why I am sharing this publicly with the people who matter to me. A secret effort on my part will go unchecked – hence leading to temptation to "have just one" and failure. So... a public declaration on my part to those I care about – will encourage and foster my own self-accountability. I am not able to have just one and I must own that! Today is the first day of my journey towards sobriety. Please know that I’m not in a place of wanting to have conversations about this right now – so I appreciate your good wishes. I just need a week or two to focus on my day to day efforts as I know each day gets better. All is good.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,WP.
Glad you found this forum.There's are a lot of people here that have and are going through what you are about to embark upon.

I think that was a wise decision on your part to come clean with friends and family.
Like you mentioned,it will help steer you on the right path.

I don't know how much you have drank in the past. But,detox can be quite hard on the body and mind. Good luck with your new born sobriety.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow Paul. Amazing. You have obviously gave this the thought it deserves. You have articulated your intention so very well. Welcome.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Paul, I think it takes a lot of courage to be so open with everyone and I wish you every success. Keep posting and let us know how you work through your journey. x
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yay Paul! I am on Day 1 too. Let's do this!!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome withpaul, wishing you well.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This place is the only thing that has kept me sober during the past 8 days. I visit here often. As in many times a day. The people at SR truly "get" what you are going through. Congratulations on your commitment. I look forward to hearing about your successes.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Paul,
I read you letter and it remindes me of my early recovery, Things for me got worse when i got sober not better. I don't want to send a negetive msg. i want to tell you the truth There is plenty of BS goin around the rooms, I have something if you want It it's called honesty.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)