Notices

I can't do this much longer

Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My family has now been advised to not allow me to move back home and live with them for support. They feel that it would be enabling me, and I would only bring grief and destruction into the environment. My family is now conflicted as to what to do. Obviously, I have made my decision to quit my job and move but now am not sure what to do. I want to quit drinking but am still afraid of failing. They last thing I want is to upset my family anymore than I already have. As I have stated before, they love me unconditionally, but have been told to back away. So much to think about.......
Old 09-21-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Who told them to back away? Do you have an alternate plan as to where to live? If you quit your job, how will you support yourself?

Did a therapeutic professional advise them of this...or their friends?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Geographic cures don't work. Taking some time away from everyday stress and responsibilities to work on the hard job of getting sober can be helpful, which is why many choose a 30 day rehab when they can't keep all the balls in the air and get sober. If you haven't quit your job already you may have an option for an insured rehab stay and paid medical leave.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would also not recommend quitting your job if possible, you will just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Try to get a paid medical for a month in rehab or start going to meetings if you can't do it on your own. A job offers a lot of benefits besides income that can help you in the long run - stability, self-esteem, medical insurance, etc.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The advice to not allow me into their home was given by Al-anon members at a meeting my mother attended. They feel that quitting my job and moving home will not be the "bottom" that I need to maintain sobriety. They insist it will only allow me to continue drinking. They suggested my family ask me to go to The salvation Army and attend meetings. I was definetly going to attend AA meetings but I am not sure about the living situation now. I tendered my resignation a month ago and my last day at my job is Wednesday.