Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Its happened again... really need to ask what someone else thinks

Notices

Its happened again... really need to ask what someone else thinks

Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I stay sober with the help of AA and I don't know if anyone who would tell you you don't belong there. We don't make the decision for anyone as to whether or not they are an alcoholic--it's a personal choice. IN my 20's I could get away with periods of not drinking but then when I did I would black out , much like you described. I couldn't get drunk enough. When others wanted to go home, I wanted more alcohol. It took me years of that before I had some serious consequences (in blackouts) that led me to accept my alcoholism and get help to stop. At the least, keep reading on here, you are welcome to so much experience on this site
Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It is not how many days a week you drink. It is where that first drink takes you. I wasn't an everyday drinker. I drank on the weekends and I consider myself an alcoholic period. Stick around and gain some knowledge and than you can decide for yourself if you are an alcoholic or not. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everyone on this website is so nice. And very helpful. So thanks very much for that. As of tonight I am going to stop drinking, try to still go out to clubs sometimes when my friends and girlfriend ask but take the car and stay sober. If I fail with this then I am definitely going to visit AA and see if its any easier with there support. Thanks to everyone who replied!