Notices

holistic therapies

Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question holistic therapies

Hi all,

Let me start with a disclaimer - I am NOT looking for medical advice, and have already seen a doc.

The doctors that we have here in my town that are low-income are generally not very interested in providing holistic alternatives or supplementation, which is what I am looking for. They cover the medical bases, but that about it.

Has anyone had any experience using (supplemental) therapies like acupuncture, aromatherapy, reiki, cupping, etc, for ease of symptoms while detoxing?

What about natural herbal supplementation for health, and for liver detoxification, beyond an already healthy diet? Anything seem beneficial to you?

And lastly, as my income is limited, I can't get to yoga/meditation class, so some suggestions on useful online resources for any of the above would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll need to find an alternative medicine/holistic doc.

it's still medical advice (alternative & holistic) and no one is allowed to recommend what might help. maybe you can do a search in the fitness/nutrition section for information?
People need to realize that SR really can't make any recommendations.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A really interesting point. I believe there are other holistic ways that are at least beneficial for recovery and to be honest I think it is a little 'insane' that they are ignored so easily. There is propably an oceanload of additional possibilities. It would only take an open mind and some willingness to try.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
You'll need to find an alternative medicine/holistic doc.

it's still medical advice (alternative & holistic) and no one is allowed to recommend what might help. maybe you can do a search in the fitness/nutrition section for information?
People need to realize that SR really can't make any recommendations.
I don't know if I agree. What I am asking for is not advice, but for information and experiences on commonly used therapies that I can seek out a professional for. You may see that as splitting hairs, but I feel like it's a pretty benign question and information that could be useful for many.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fandy I understand that asking for advice is not allowed - but where is the line between asking for advice, and asking to have a conversation with others about their experiences and what they found helpful? Is that just not allowed at all?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cuppycakes View Post
And lastly, as my income is limited, I can't get to yoga/meditation class, so some suggestions on useful online resources for any of the above would be great. Thanks.
Hi cuppycakes, yoga has been doing wonders for me to calm the mind and body. You don't have to get to a class--there are so many free videos on youtube! .
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kadidee, thanks!
- do you have any names of ones you've used and liked? I started with a youtube search yesterday but there are so many!

I guess it's partly a matter of the personal style, but I also worry that some of these people that are making instructionals shouldn't be... finding a couple trusted ones would be helpful as a newbie.

Last edited by cuppycakes; 09-02-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would just watch a little bit of a lot of them to see what appeals to you. There are several for beginners. Honestly, I recently started going to a yoga class because I'm not disciplined enough at this point when left to my own devices, so I don't have much experience with a home practice. Something I hope to work up to eventually...
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay, I'll give t another try... thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

There are a number of good sites out there that can give you info on vitamins, supplements and things like acupuncture, cupcakes.

If you google Discovery Health: Alternative Medicines for alcoholism and drug addiction they have a load of reading material you might be interested in.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fandy I understand that asking for advice is not allowed - but where is the line between asking for advice, and asking to have a conversation with others about their experiences and what they found helpful? Is that just not allowed at all?
I also worry that some of these people that are making instructionals shouldn't be... finding a couple trusted ones would be helpful as a newbie.
No ones 'making up instructions' - some of our members have been here a long time

Here is the SR Rule in full....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
There is a line between wanting to know about others experiences and asking for specific advice on specific drugs and treatments.

I understand that all who share are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not always be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

We can share our experience in a responsible way, keeping in mind the rule above ..but we shouldn't be making recommendations, diagnosing or doing anything that should come from a professional.

It's a rule for everyones well being and safety.

I think thats pretty clear, but PM me if anyone has any further questions.

Thanks for your understanding, guys

Dee
SR
Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ummm sorry but you took that totally the wrong way. That was about Youtube videos. I was talking about youtubers, nothing else.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

doesn't matter - at least now everyone's on the same page with the rules now.

D
Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well it matters to me, because you insinuated that I said something unkindly towards someone here, which I did not.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

and we're done.
These threads are for support, not for arguing with moderators.

12. Do not disrespect forum leaders, moderators, forum greeters, and chat chairs. Be respectful in both the forums, chat, and any private communications. These members are volunteers that donate many, many hours of their own time to help in the forums and chat rooms. Violations of this rule will not be tolerated.

If you see a problem report it to us immediately and let us review the problem and take the appropriate actions.

If you feel that a decision has been made arbitrarily you may contact an Administrator privately for clarification. It is against the forum rules to ignore private messages from Forum leaders or Administrators. Publicly denouncing the actions of one of our volunteers can lead to having your membership permanently revoked.

D