Notices

missing relapsed son

Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

missing relapsed son

My 27 year old son had been sober for 15 months and then relapsed. He drinks to the point that he passes out and can't seem to stop on his own. He was kicked out of a sober living home, lost his job, and homeless. I intervened and he went to detox and was sober for 45 days. He has relapsed again and been missing now for 10 days. I am frantic. My older son died 5 years ago due to addiction. I do not know if this is common to just go missing and not contact loved ones, AA friends, or anyone and for how long it might last. I do not know whether to file a missing persons report and if they even will take it seriously since it's someone drinking. He is in another state and I am considering going to look for him. I am not sure if he needs intervention or if this relapse will help him decide to seek help on his own. He has struggled with alcoholism for about 7 years and been in several treatment centers and very active in AA. He likes to be sober and has talents and goals. Plays guitar and sings, rides his bike, etc. I want to have hope, faith in both mine and his higher power and I also want to do everything I can feasibly do to find him. I appreciate any feedback.
JK16
Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, JK16! What a terrible thing for a parent to have to go through. I don't really know where to start but I would contact the authorities. They can probably help or at least steer you in the right direction.

I know it's hard to understand why people do what they do; it's the addiction, not your son. Speaking just for myself, the booze made me a different person, someone I didn't know or understand.

Best wishes and good luck to you. Hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion than I do.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry for what your going through and I really hope your son comes home safe. I'm from the uk so all I could suggest is contact the police.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to SR, I am so sorry you are going through that hell, you will find a lot of support here.
I would suggest that you visit the friends and family forum, there are many other parents there Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
I wish I had some word of wisdom or a magic wand but all I can do is suggest you try Al Anon and give you a big cyber hug
Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am really sorry to hear you are going through that. As someone has previously said, maybe the police could help, although i'm not sure how things work in the US. Having been on binges when I've gone 'incognito' for days on end I can relate to what he has done but 10 days really is a long time.

I hope you can get in touch with him