Notices

Sick of drinking.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick of drinking.

Hello:

I am sick of drinking. It is making me miserable but I can't quit! I have been drinking for a long time to escape from my (severe) problems but now it is killing me. I just don't know how to live without drinking!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat as you. Today I decided I need to stop. I'm working on day 1 of being sober. It's not easy. I want a drink badly, but everyone on here so far has been so encouraging and helpful. You can get through this
Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mandymxic

I think many of us know exactly how you feel - I was convinced I couldn't live without it either...but I have

Supports really important - the support here at SR made all the difference for me - I hope it will for you too

D
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi y'all, I know I've been posting like crazy today but I'm having a tough day and it's helping... I hope it's helping others a little too. I drank to cope with lots of abuse, an unusual amount of death and grieving, abandonment issues, and crippling self-esteem problems. I didn't know how to stop for SO long. I visited this site a lot then eventually I just stopped. Yep. I told my SO first, then slowly told friends and family as I gained confidence in my venture.
No no no it wasn't easy. But I just kept saying no and stopped stigmatizing my sobriety. I demoted people who didn't take me seriously or criticized my decision.
Today has been kind of terrible as you'll see if you read other things I've said but I am convinced that it is temporary and that I'll feel better tomorrow. That kind of thinking has gotten me through and I guess is exactly how I did it in the first place. Good luck to you both!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some people can have one or two drinks and stop. I had to realise I'm not one of those people. I just ended my first week and I am so glad I found SR. I feel stronger than I ever have. I know the struggles aren't over but I know what I have to do. I visualize myself having a drink and fastforward to the slurring stumbling arguing pukeing and hating the poison I had voluntarily put in my body. Please..this is the first day of the rest of your life. Take it back from alcohol.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been drinking every day for a long time and it is" my world"... as scary as that sounds. I want to quit. But I do not know how to live without it...besides I get shaky when I don't drink. This is tough!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also drank for a long time. As hard as it is to stop, in some ways it's also a relief to not get plowed every night.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mandy, one of the things that freaked me out in the beginning (and today frankly) was not knowing what to do or how to cope in each situation that came up... But sometimes I was able to navigate through it by just experimenting with being true to myself or discovering just who my self is in those situations. Just being present has helped so much.