Notices

Am I REALLY an alcolohic

Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I REALLY an alcolohic

Dear hopefully-sober community

I essentially joined in order to seek the opinions of former alcoholics on my own behavior over the last few years. Specifically I would like to know whether I should classify myself as being an alcoholic.

Im 20 years old, doing a very tough course in a specialized field of Engineering. I live on my own in a tiny flat. Since I started the course 2 years ago (and started living on my own), I have been drinking every second day. At first it was every day, a few beers while preparing food and washing the dishes.

About 3/4 months later, I started getting hangovers, forcing me to cut back/decrease the frequency. This was short-lived, as I found myself having to buy a (750ml) bottle of whisky every 4-5 days. By the end of last year, I was drinking 2 bottles a week, still drinking every second day. On the rare social occasion, I would drink up til just before the point of throwing up. This has resulted in me finishing a bottle and a half of whisky in roughly 8 hours. Then driving 20km home. I am ashamed to say I have driven home near-blackout drunk from just about every social event I've been to.

Somehow I have suffered no serious consequences.

Fast forward one year and a few months, I may now drink up to a bottle of whisky in a period of 6-7 hours whenever my course allows for it, and sometimes when it doesn't. A general rule is roughly 2/3 of a bottle every 2nd or third night over a period of 4 hours.

My friends have jokingly called me an alcoholic multiple times. However, I am still functioning and doing fairly well, despite the constant hangovers and inopportune ****-ups.

As I was writing this, I realized that I definitely have a problem... But does my behavior classify me as being an "alcoholic" according to any strict definitions?

If you took the time to read everything, thank you very much. This was a nice outlet, since I cannot express my thoughts on the matter with my friends/family.

Wishing all of you all the best.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

For me, it was about not being able to live without drinking and that when I tried to stop, I had a hard time staying stopped....I used alcohol to feel okay in my own skin and in the world....

Alcohol was a solution for me and it worked for a while, then it just didn't.

I had to find a new solution.

What do you think?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As simple as that? I have never truly tried to stop, since I have never identified drinking as being a REAL problem, though I've had the suspicion. My concern is the quantities and frequency, and whether that alone can be indicative of alcoholism. As opposed to the official guidelines, which broadly classify just about everyone as being alcoholics, I would like to hear personal accounts of what people base their definition of alcoholism on.

Clearly a large number of those joining a recovery forum would certainly have been alcoholics. I was wondering if there is any significant number self-professed former/current alcoholics with behavioral characteristics similar to mine.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are no strict definitions of alcoholism.

If alcohol is causing you problems, then it makes sense to stop drinking. One thing for sure is that alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will worsen if you don't stop drinking.

We are here if you decide you would like support.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sincerely, drinking one bottle of whisky in 6/7 hours is Real alcoholic drinking. It is a huge amount of alcohol. Your drinking is escalating very quickly. It will continue escalating and you will face very very serious problems.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Lou - glad to have you join us.

When I was your age I drank similarly to the way you are now. I never thought it was a real problem - I knew I overdid it, but always figured I'd slow down one day. That day never came. As Anna points out - alcoholism is progressive. Over the years I came to rely on it for everything - it was what I used to cope with problems, to have fun with & relax. It was way too big a part of my life and I couldn't imagine being without it. I tried to control the amounts I drank, but it was futile. In the end, I was drinking 24/7. I was completely dependent on it - sick and miserable. That's when I found SR. I hope you'll be careful Lou. None of us ever intends to let it take over our life. It's good that you're taking a hard look at your drinking habits.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know I've heard 'medical guidelines are ridiculous, they make nearly everyone have an alcohol problem' used as justification before to avoid the reality. From what I can tell, the reality is that the medical guidelines probably fit with many peoples' healthy lifestyles but if you just look for examples of drinkers out there you might not see that.

I read something earlier today that might help from a recovered alcoholic, that abuse and drinking too much starts out justified as just a way to relax and have fun. Then it becomes the primary way to relax. For me that summed up alcohol problems pretty well.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking to the point of blacking out is a sign of alcoholism. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. From your post it is clear that your drinking has increased in frequency and volume in the course of a year. It will only get worse. Driving home drunk should send alarm bells ringing for you. If it were me i would stop before i seriously injured myself or someone else. Lots of support and advice here.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. To put the amounts in perspective, I weigh about 90 kg (200 pounds). I believe this makes a difference.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even with 90 kg, your alcohol consumption is clearly alcoholic. The increase of the intake in only 1 year is dramatic.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It doesn't really make a difference. I think you are looking for something that isn't there.

If you don't think you're an alcoholic, then that's a decision you make. No one here can convince with amounts and weights, etc that you are an alcoholic or not. That's a decision you have to make on your own.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you especially for the replies pointing out the progression, I did not realize it was such typical behavior for one to progress slowly into alcoholism. Was under the impression that some have the predisposition and end up there much sooner (due to external circumstances) than I was assuming.

Anna, judging by your join date and the fact that you're an admin, I'm sure you realize that seeing yourself as being an alcoholic is a massive step to take as it requires a possibly life-altering plan of action.

I'm searching for some kind of confirmation, which, as you said, is something that one one personally has to decide. This is, I'm sure you'll agree, a key problem in dealing with alcoholism. Add to that the absence of a strict definition, and you have one hell of a problem.

Guess I'm shooting from the hip, aiming for some general consensus or similarity in personal experience before I quit, which I am both tempted and very reluctant to do.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Only you can judge if you are an alcoholic or not. I would say the amounts you are drinking and comparing this to your weight is somewhat irrelevant though. Your drinking has progressed significantly over the past year. It will only increase even more as your tolerance for alcohol gets higher.You said that "Somehow I have suffered no serious consequences". That will not be the case for very long with the amounts you are consuming and driving home when drunk. Have you tried to stop drinking before now?. Wishing you well.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Lou,
I think you are at the crossroads that is very familiar to most of us..between being tempted to get sober and being reluctant to do so.

Alcoholism is progressive and it is deadly. Sadly, there are some people who don't get help or think that they will do it another day...and that day doesn't come.

It isn't easy to get sober, but you have taken a very a very important step. This is a disease and understanding what it is and how to get help is a great start. It isn't easy, but you aren't alone. I have been in the same place. My alcoholism progressed rapidly at the end. I could have gone to sleep and not woken up, and I have to remember that.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for...welcome!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There are about 17 standard drinks in a 750ml bottle of liquor. Moderate drinking is 2 drinks per day for men. A bottle of whiskey should last you a week. If you can drink one in 6-7 hours, I'd say you are an alcoholic.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want confirmation Lou, there are a number of red flags here

I have been drinking every second day.

About 3/4 months later, I started getting hangovers, forcing me to cut back/decrease the frequency. This was short-lived, as I found myself having to buy a (750ml) bottle of whisky every 4-5 days. By the end of last year, I was drinking 2 bottles a week, still drinking every second day. On the rare social occasion, I would drink up til just before the point of throwing up. This has resulted in me finishing a bottle and a half of whisky in roughly 8 hours. Then driving 20km home. I am ashamed to say I have driven home near-blackout drunk from just about every social event I've been to.

Fast forward one year and a few months, I may now drink up to a bottle of whisky in a period of 6-7 hours whenever my course allows for it, and sometimes when it doesn't. A general rule is roughly 2/3 of a bottle every 2nd or third night over a period of 4 hours.

My friends have jokingly called me an alcoholic multiple times. However, I am still functioning and doing fairly well, despite the constant hangovers and inopportune ****-ups.
If you were to see these behaviours in a friend, would you not be worried for them?

regular drinking, progression of that drinking, blackouts, drunk driving, friends being concerned, you dismissing that concern, drinking when you have responsibilities...

would it not be common sense to suggest they stop drinking if it resulted in these kinds of consequences?

Would you not agree they have a problem and they need to fix it?

You can get really hung up on the word alcoholic - I did - and while I was ruminating on that, for years, I kept drinking....

The fact is heavy drinkers die too. If you abuse alcohol you're abusing yourself and your body. The label is the least of your worries.

This is one of the standard tests for alcoholism. It is NOT conclusive by any means but it may help you sort out some of your ambivalence.

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST), Revised

D
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Am I REALLY an alcolohic

---------

In a word--yes-----

First step is admitting it...
Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lou, I was shocked to find out I was an alcoholic.

I didn't drink at all until my mid-forties when everything in my life came to a point where I couldn't sleep, couldn't cope and began drinking at bedtime to sleep. I believe I became an alcoholic in less than 3 months. It's an invisible line you cross and you can never go back.

I was scared to death to admit to being an alcoholic because it would mean I would have to survive without alcohol to numb my way through life. I couldn't imagine that happening and it took a long time, and getting much worse, before I accepted it.

But, there is hope for you and all of us here to live sober lives.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is one of the standard tests for alcoholism. It is NOT conclusive by any means but it may help you sort out some of your ambivalence.

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST), Revised

D
This is interesting, Dee. I just took this test and scored 'early to middle problem drinker'. I know in my heart that I had become a heavy problem drinker, but the questions on this quiz don't reflect my experience. I guess I was still managing to hide it well enough, and so didn't yet experience some of the situations in the quiz.

Don't get hung up on the label part, Lou. Take action before it gets worse.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm of the same opinion as eleni...
But you don't need my opinion or anyone else's. I suspect you already know.

Your smart and very lucky, that you're still young and that you haven't suffered any of the consequences that come from drink driving ect. Have a look around, read the stories, you will make up your mind when you are ready. I just hope that you can do that before you find yourself at the tail end of a blackout, wishing with every fibre in your being that you had followed up on your worries.

Wishing you well!