Notices

NFL fans what do you drink during the games?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Football starts Thursday here in the United States. Usually I would drink all day on Sundays watching the Patriots, and the other games. What do you drink? What do you do instead of not drinking? Do you watch alone instead of with drinking buddies? I have 159 days sober today.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Congratulations in the days sober. I'm rootin for the Steelers
Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No half measures

I hang out with sober buddies from AA. Very cool actually remembering what happened the next day
Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I watch the Patriots alone. It's better anyways, I can see all the game with no distractions.
I drink Polar seltzer water lemon or lime. Sometime I'll put a wedge of lime or lemon in my glass. I'm pre type 2 diabetes so having a no sugar drink is good.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
I watch the Patriots alone. It's better anyways, I can see all the game with no distractions.
I drink Polar seltzer water lemon or lime. Sometime I'll put a wedge of lime or lemon in my glass. I'm pre type 2 diabetes so having a no sugar drink is good.
I'm a Polar Seltzer fan as well.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes I'll drink the Adirondack as well.
Just for a change.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
I hang out with sober buddies from AA. Very cool actually remembering what happened the next day
I don't really have any close sober friends in AA. I have only been going to meetings for a month. I used to spend every Sunday drinking.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to spend every night drinking, and double that on weekends. I'm like 38 days now and feeling great.
Everybody I know that doesn't drink is not a football fan and vice versa.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am rooting for the Seahawks, the Huskies and my nephews high school football team!

I drink club soda....all day, every day.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been thinking the same. However, I was able to stay sober during ice hockey season so I'm thinking I'll stay out of the bars and away from large drinking gatherings. Sipping on my diet soda with lime and big time snacks...I always focused more on the drinking...now I'm about the snacks....working on making health snacks
Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No half measures

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I don't really have any close sober friends in AA. I have only been going to meetings for a month. I used to spend every Sunday drinking.
Time to start making some new friends. Just start asking a few people if they like foot
ball and if they do invite them. Trust me you are not the only one looking for sober friends
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool, just thinking about all the experimental snack and appetizers I can try this season.
Maybe something with lobstah.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Cool, just thinking about all the experimental snack and appetizers I can try this season.
Maybe something with lobstah.
Usually every Sunday I make a crock pot dish during football season. Start it at 7 am and good by 3 pm.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Usually every Sunday I make a crock pot dish during football season. Start it at 7 am and good by 3 pm.
Sounds good, slow cooker makes everything nice and tender.
I hope the Pats don't have a lot of night games this year. They start the games too late and they last way too late into the evening.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Football starts Thursday here in the United States. Usually I would drink all day on Sundays watching the Patriots, and the other games. What do you drink? What do you do instead of not drinking? Do you watch alone instead of with drinking buddies? I have 159 days sober today.
Personally, I never drank much during football season. Hard to believe I know, as drinking and watching football pretty much go hand-in-hand, so fortunately, I can still watch games without any triggers.

Also, I always watch at home, so I tend to do some work on the laptop while also watching the games. So again, I have reasons to remain lucid.

I'm also a seltzer water drinker. Usually flavored. And for me, coffee is also a go-to beverage.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congrats on the 159 days!

Yes, opening day is rapidly approaching. We used to have open house the first Sunday and set up 4 tvs because we have NFL Sunday Ticket. I also would take Monday off. Pretty bad when you have to plan for a hangover.

I've been graced with a husband who could care less if he drinks during the games. Actually, he has a friend who likes to come and watch who will be here more frequently this year because he doesn't drink and my husband won't have to worry about me embarrassing him.

I've already told my husband that it's his right to have a few, I feel secure and I love my flavored schweppes with a slice of lime. I'll actually get to wake up on Mondays this year and know who won the games!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was worried about this as well but now have made a few sober friends who are also football fans so they'll be my go-to during football season.

Unfortunately, I live in DC and am a Philadelphia fan (yes, I know...boo, hiss) and our opener is against the Redskins. Luckily, I have a meeting that night so will be occupied with that for part of the game. Unluckily, I still have not learned to keep my mouth shut so made a bet with a Redskins fan and will likely have RGIII as my FB profile picture if the Eagles lose.

Oh well...

But I agree on the flavored seltzer although I still drink Diet Coke by the gallon. One bad habit at a time
Old 09-01-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well I grew up 3 miles from Patriots stadium, and my family is still up there. But I married a Jets fan......

This year I'll be drinking diet root beer.......it should go well with the Humble Pie!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm a Titans fan and my husband is a Chiefs fan.

Try living in Patriot territory with that!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I also would take Monday off. Pretty bad when you have to plan for a hangover.
I used to do this too! I basically stopped going to work on Mondays between September and the beginning of January unless the Eagles had a bye. How very sad is that?

I got sober after football season ended so I am sure there are going to be some surprised faces when I show up for work now on Mondays during the fall and winter