Notices

Getting Close to relapsing--HELP!!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good job Eleni, you took care of yourself, I bet the sub was WAY better than the pizza.

You took your power back...not against him, but for you!!! You rock!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good on ya! Well done. I'd say you need to have a sit down chat with him at some point about all this but obviously not just now - I'm glad u kept your cool. I bet you feel great for it now. Just remember that you and only you are in control of your happiness no one has the right to give it or take it away from you unless you allow it. I say this from personal experience - it's a hard thing to deal with but it's an invaluable lesson.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Eleni, don't let your boyfriend's drinking be about you. I bet he would do it with/without you. People drink everywhere. But for me, it's not a good idea. You have 38 days. You've already shown you can do it. Try to find something else to do. Keep your mind busy with something else. Check out urge surfing on google. It is a method for being calmer thru the urges. Minimizing them really. It helps me alot. My very best wishes are with you.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Eleni, I am so proud of you!! It made me feel so happy to read that you took his power away and took care of YOU. Don't let him make you hurt yourself, because really that is all drinking does--hurts you.

Reading this has helped me with some addictive thoughts I had today, so thank you for that. <3 Also, I kind of want to reach through the computer screen and wring your bf's neck!! How awful of him to compromise your sobriety like that, but perhaps he has a problem himself.

Stay strong!! <3
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I bet the sub was WAY better than the pizza.

Jaynie-- the old drinking me would have picked a huge fight over the pizza LOL

Kristy--I know he has a problem but he is in denial just because he says he doesn't drink every day--trust me--I will not forget or forgive his attempt to compromise my sobriety--been with him four years and his behavior this weekend has been a real eye opener
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Eleni,
Thanks so much for posting. I always look forward to hearing how you are doing. My therapist uses the metaphor "building picket fences" to describe how to create distance from troubling people and situations around us when we can't immediately get away from them. I think it's highly akin to the urge surfing that Dee mentioned. We see someone troublesome next to us, recognize it for what it is, then put a fence around it. The next time that person acts out, then we see the fence.

Please stay close and Go Pack! This from a Vikings fan just for you. lol

Peace,
Cas
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Eleni, I am sorry you are struggling but don't freak out (easier said than done). Anger is a HUGE trigger for me. I had a LOT of cravings my first 90 days as I was angry alllll the time. For me I had so much of it pent up that it came gushing out once i got sober. You said you go to AA...I do too. Some days I went to 2 meetings a day. I know people that have done a max of 4. WHATEVER IT TAKES TO NOT TAKE THAT FIRST DRINK DO IT. Keep calling people, going to meetings, posting on here. This was really helpful to me too-- I had to ask myself at times if something/someone/ some place was good for my recovery. If the answer was a big fat NO it/they had to go. You are most important here and you come first. Hang in there, I can tell you it does get better. Every crave/situation I got through sober only added muscles to my recovery. We are here for you!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So happy to see that you surfed and found a way around it. You can do this Eleni! Own your sobriety, it belongs to you and to you alone!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It sounds like your boyfriend is attempting to have you bend to his will. So I hope you don't. Also, it appears he's attempting to sabotage your sobriety, that's a pretty crappy thing to do.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

From the bottom of my heart--you guys all so amazing! ! ! HUGE thanks for all your support! I now have regained my strength to carry on down the sober path--thanks to all of you! !
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Pray pray pray. Hugs xxxx
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good for you! When I get stressed or my husband is pushing my buttons it gets my cravings going into overdrive! I get on here and read post from people on their first day of sobriety and it brings it all back why I can't drink. I don't want to go thru that day 1 again! I am on day 24 . Don't let him rob you of your sobriety ... You have the power!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Personally I think your bf isvjealousnof your sobriety. He probably doesn't like that you can quit drinking and he can't.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sally you could be right!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
It sounds like your boyfriend is attempting to have you bend to his will. So I hope you don't. Also, it appears he's attempting to sabotage your sobriety, that's a pretty crappy thing to do.
Totally agree!!!! He gave up earlier but three hours later is back to saying things to try to get a rise out of me. It's not working as I have my poker face on and not reacting. He is making it easier and easier for me to break up with him. Unbelievably childish, insecure, weak and mean! Sobriety sure has a way of bringing clarity to things.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wow. Good for you Eleni. I can't imagine having to deal with that BS while trying to stay sober.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Nothing or no one is more important than my sobriety. My sobriety will always come first.

You have 38 days. It is not uncommon to feel this way after we reach milestones.

Hang in there. It does get better and the more you are able to get thru these cravings the easier it gets.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Wow. Good for you Eleni. I can't imagine having to deal with that BS while trying to stay sober.
I am trying to put things into perspective--you know how in the military or police academy the sargeants try to break you down and make you react by playing this game of saying horrible hurtful things? That is what my boyfriend is doing--I just pretend I am Gomer Pyle--Smile knowing you are on to their game and they aint gonna win!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

I've been thinking of you

You're doing fantastic

Have a good holiday

Tr
Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Please listen to Hope's wise words. I just relapsed and it's hell on earth. Do ANYTHING but NO NOT DRINK!!!
Originally Posted by hope22 View Post
Eleni please don't drink. Congratulations on 38 days that is awesome. What has helped me when I had those urges was to "think the drink through" (Think of how you will feel tomorrow if you do drink) I also made a list of why I quit and another list of all of the benefits of sobriety. Reading those two lists and "thinking the drink through" helped me ride out urges.