SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I joined, I failed again! back to day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/306066-i-joined-i-failed-again-back-day-1-a.html)

lorelei 09-01-2013 12:36 PM

I joined, I failed again! back to day 1

When will this ever end.... start with good intentions and fail miserably again.

Day 1.:gaah

Itchy 09-01-2013 12:52 PM

Lorelei,
I congratulate you on joining, posting, even if you failed. I failed every morning for two years and then joined here on SR and learned that maybe even I could recover. I did, and the fine folks here, of which I include myself, can help you get past that annoying failure part if you really want to. I needed a jump start and checked into the hospital and did a 7 day medical detox. See I am much older than you if that is your picture and didn't quit until I was shaking every morning like I was palsied, and drinking 30 plus drinks from wake up to passing out at night. I swore to quit every morning for that last two years until it got so bad I knew I would die from it and quit that way if I did not man up and do something to quit the hard way and live easy.

You can, first three days to detox, and those can be trying to say the least, and then one craving and minute/hour/day at a time. Get your Doctor on your team too. I also used AA for my first three months and they were great for face to face and friendships for real world support when here was not enough at the start. I stopped active participation in AA because I recovered, and only because of that. I still visit the group from time to time.

Read a lot and post a lot here, we will teach you if you do your part.

sgs 09-01-2013 12:52 PM

Hi--you can do this. I am day 17 and this has been different. I just started with an attitude that I knew I had to it. I am being good to myself--lots of food treats and doing what I need to do. I am a lot older than you by the look of your picture and I think that makes it harder. Have a good day.

sgs 09-01-2013 12:53 PM

I meant harder for you as the youth culture is sometimes not supportive.

lorelei 09-01-2013 12:55 PM

Thanks itchy and sgs, I know I have to stop. Im determined September will be sober ...

lorelei 09-01-2013 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sgs (Post 4154325)
I meant harder for you as the youth culture is sometimes not supportive.

I know what you mean, its been my birthday since I joined, 33 now, want to give up before I give up on myself x

sgs 09-01-2013 01:03 PM

I feel for you. I have a 33 year old who is single and the culture is so around alcohol. I do think some people should be the "cool" sobor people. I have a young guy friend about your age and he has really done this and is really getting support from friends. He is still a real character, but a sobor one!!

hayley86 09-01-2013 01:24 PM

Welcome. Glad you are here posting. :)

foolsgold66 09-01-2013 01:26 PM

It happens. Keep trying! :)

Dee74 09-01-2013 02:11 PM

Hi Lorelei :)

I think the key is thinking about what else you can to to whatever you've been doing to stay sober - do you need more support? are there things or factors in your life that bring you back to drinking and you need to change? things like that :)

D

pinkdog 09-01-2013 02:13 PM

Hi Lorelei, welcome. This is a great place. Stick around. :ring

sgs 09-02-2013 07:32 AM

How's it going???

lorelei 09-02-2013 07:34 AM

Hi sgs, day 2 here, not feeling too bad, been anxious all day, and posting a lot lol, but no plans to drink, just to stay sober, how are you? X:tyou

DecBaby 09-02-2013 07:34 AM

Sober September. I like it!

Tamerua 09-02-2013 07:38 AM

Hi Lorelei, it is only failure if you didn't learn and put to use what you learned! And it is tough being younger... I'm 37, everyone I knew parties. So, I have made sober friends now, it's a lot easier this way.

I would check out the September class and start posting, might be quiet since it is only the 2nd but it will fill up soon! Good luck!

lorelei 09-02-2013 07:43 AM

Me too Dec Baby :herewego

Tamerua, I joined yesterday, am hoping to keep posting on Sept thread and keep reminding myself why I need to do this x

sgs 09-02-2013 07:43 AM

I am good today. Still hungrier than normal,but I think I didn't realize how many calories I was getting from booze!!! I am taking care of our twin baby grandkids so this should keep me out of trouble!!!! Keep taking care of yourself.

lorelei 09-02-2013 07:46 AM

Thanks sgs, twin baby grandkids sounds great fun !:ring

Mountainmanbob 09-02-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by lorelei (Post 4154306)

Day 1.:gaah

nothing wrong with day 1
sure beats all of those day 0's I had
you can do this thing 1 day at a time

Mountainman

Oldselfagain 09-02-2013 09:07 AM

Hi Lorelei....I've had a few day 1s myself. I think its pretty typical to try a few times (many times in my case...). I tried AA but couldn't really get into it although i think I'm going to try some other AA meetings. SR has been great for me and has helped me immensely. Good luck and glad you're trying again :)