Notices

off the wagon, and it's ok...

Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I really wish you all the best Ippo. I think with so much at stake it's a dreadful decision but it's your decision to make not ours.

But do me a favor and if you find things are getting too much, don't wait until it's too late to come back to us. We're not going anywhere.

All strength to you love.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

what Natty said...ditto.
i wish you the best with your upcoming surgeries and pt, hope you will get full use of your hand again.
just a small dollop of advice, when in doubt, choose a cup of tea first...you can always have a drink *later*, don't mix anything with your scrips.
You can always post, whether you are in trouble or not....
Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi ippochick, I agree with Dee. Best wishes for sobriety.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Oh yes! I "moderated"- for forty years! I could tell you some stories about all that "moderating". But I won't. I doubt that it would do anything but bore you. And I don't want to seem superior or judgmental. If you're an alcoholic there's lots of sadness and trouble ahead for you. if you're not, then you're lucky. Only one thing is certain. That is that eventually you'll find out which you are. Can we help in any way? Hearing about all this "moderating" isn't much help to us.

W.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

She returns! At least it's good to hear she is doing well.

In my mind there will never be such a thing as moderation. Moderation is a word that addicts use to describe another run down the rabbit hole. People who don't have problems with consumption would never understand. It's a fool's errand.

That said, Ippo, I wish you all the best.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

And true moderation is one drink a day for women. And not saving them all for Saturday night. Or banking any for another night. Anything more can be damaging to your health at th every least. Controlled or otherwise.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

none of this is meant to gloat. i totally understand the investment people have in their sobriety and in SR and i in no way want to diminish that.

i would just say that those posting 'see you soon' or variations thereon may want to check their motivation. are you actively hoping i fail? there seems to be a note of glee in those posts.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't think that's the case at all, ippochick. We don't want you to fail - just want you to know this place is always going to be here for you no matter what.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

then in that case i sincerely apologise and thank everyone for their thoughts.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone is posting with glee ippochick. I think most people feel deeply sorry for you and the pain that you will encounter if you keep drinking,based on your drinking past. Idon't think people want you to actively fail-it's not even a case of passing or failing just know that realistically moderation and control aren't possible for people with drink problems. People who do control and moderate do itnaturally without thinking about it and don't post on recovery websites. Maybe read your original posts and look at why you joined SR in the first place. Those problems will appear again.

I don't mean don't post,just we will be here for you when it does get out of control again.

You're right though,if you intend on keeping drinking there is nothing anyone can say or do to persuade you otherwise. I 'll bow out now
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

and fandy - a cup of *british* tea otherwise known as builders tea is awesome. strong enough to stand a spoon up in...
Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

ready - sorry if it seems i'm glorifying anything. i came back as the people here carried me and engaged with me during early sobriety.

just posted to say hello and thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ippochick View Post
ready - sorry if it seems i'm glorifying anything. i came back as the people here carried me and engaged with me during early sobriety.

just posted to say hello and thanks.
Ippo,I don't think you are glorifying it at all,it didn't come across like that to me. My concerns were aboutwhat might happen inthefuture,not your posts today. I'm glad you've checked in and are ok
Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

none of this is meant to gloat. i totally understand the investment people have in their sobriety and in SR and i in no way want to diminish that.

i would just say that those posting 'see you soon' or variations thereon may want to check their motivation. are you actively hoping i fail? there seems to be a note of glee in those posts.
I don't want you to fail. But I don't want you to suffer either. Is there anything wrong with my feeling that way? If you truly are O.K. then that makes me feel good. Past experience just has taught me that when I'm going through the jungle it's wise to watch my back. As that great philosopher, Satchell Page used to say, "Somethin' may be gainin' on you!"

W.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I don't want you to fail. But I don't want you to suffer either. Is there anything wrong with my feeling that way? If you truly are O.K. then that makes me feel good. But past experience has taught me that when I'm going through the jungle it's wise to watch my back. As that great philosopher, Satchel Paige, used to say, "Somethin' may be gainin' on you!"

W.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

P.S. Sorry about the unintentional double post. The 10:55 (latest) one should be retained, the 10:53 one discarded.

W.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying it. danced til 3am today. looking forward to movies and cookies and ice cream today. I had a very nasty (sober) accident 2 weeks ago - severed a finger (4hrs emergency surgery to reattach it) and spent a week in hospital. decided I deserved a beer when I was discharged and am warily learning to moderate. not looking for judgement here; just checking in.
So - you cut off your finger and decided you need to get drunk again as a reward? Ouch....maybe the pain pills put you in that mode. Note to self: always tell the doctor I am in recovery and can't handle opiates.

I've seen it a thousand times - at first things go pretty good - for a while - then, bam! The sheet hits the fan again.

Keep us posted, we're here for you either way.

If I could drink like a normal person, I'd drink all the time.......
Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I have a question just out of curiosity. When you moderate, do you still want another or can you have just one or 2 and have it not be in your head anymore. Is it forced moderation if that makes sense? Or are you comfortable stopping at a set amount? Sorry I haven't read this whole thread, but was really interested in your answer. I have been waiting for almost a year to read the post where someone was able to win at moderation. Not trying to be smug, just very curious. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Glee is the opposite of what I feel. Dread? Sadness? Fear? All I need to do us go back and read your early posts. How has anything really changed?

One of the main reasons I recall you tried to stop was your 9 year old daughter became so scared of you she spoke to your husband about your drinking. I'm sorry. But "moderation" is worth that???
Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

No one can predict the future, and I certainly wouldn't minimize the pain you must have been in in almost severing your finger in an accident....in the hospital for a week, your pain medications were closely monitored, it's presumptuous to even comment on this.

your decisions are your own, but this being a site that does not condone moderation, you are not going to find a lot of like minded persons who share your belief.

I hope you put your quality of life first and your children. if your method works, that's great, if it doesn't it's OK too...but you know that you never want to go back down the black hole where you were previously....if you sense that you are losing control, have a big plan in place...whether it is here or with counseling.

I love Earl Gray (decaff of course or I would be up all night)