Notices

Stopped Myself Tonight

Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopped Myself Tonight

Today is my 11th day without a drink. I've been doing really well, not really craving much, but driving home this afternoon from a great day out with my family, it just hit me out of nowhere: I really, really wanted a drink. I knew there were two beers in the back of the cabinet at home, and for about 20 minutes I was overwhelmed by the desire to go home and JUST HAVE ONE. Just one. And of course we all know how "just one" goes.

Luckily, my husband and kids were in the car. I quietly mentioned it to my husband, thinking he'd say, Well, if you really want one, you can have it, but instead he said, Well, you're not going to drink it, are you?

And I said, No, but I really, really want to. And then he said that our 15-year-old had told him this morning that he's really proud of me for going this long without a drink. I asked the kids if they were happier now that we're off the booze, and they both told me they are. They're not scared; they're not uncertain; they're not wondering when their parents are going to start acting "weird". They don't miss the stupid drunken bickering my husband and I do.

That really hit me. I know I need to do this for myself, but they're counting on me, and so is my husband. When I got home and got the mail, I found a book I had ordered the other day, Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore. Talk about a sign!!! So I watered the plants, had a seltzer with lemon, made dinner, and forgot about drinking for today.

One day at a time. Some days are harder than others, but I don't need to look that far ahead. I've been telling myself that I can drink sometime, but just not today. And I plan on telling myself that every day.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is wonderful! Congratulations on taking this important step for you and your family!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post celticgirl - congrats on getting through
D
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all! It's now 10:30 - well past my witching hour. Another day sober. And now I have a book to read before bed
Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

very nicely done, celtic!!

i read that book, too... i thought it was a good read!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

My sobriety bananadance for you Celticgirl!

I'm so happy that you made it through this, isn't it a great feeling?

Old 08-31-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, it is! I am looking at these incidents as money in the bank for me. Every time I face this head on and don't cave, I am hoping it will give me motivation to stay sober. And I hope these cravings eventually go away. They will, won't they???
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
Today is my 11th day without a drink. I've been doing really well, not really craving much, but driving home this afternoon from a great day out with my family, it just hit me out of nowhere: I really, really wanted a drink. I knew there were two beers in the back of the cabinet at home, and for about 20 minutes I was overwhelmed by the desire to go home and JUST HAVE ONE. Just one. And of course we all know how "just one" goes.

Luckily, my husband and kids were in the car. I quietly mentioned it to my husband, thinking he'd say, Well, if you really want one, you can have it, but instead he said, Well, you're not going to drink it, are you?

And I said, No, but I really, really want to. And then he said that our 15-year-old had told him this morning that he's really proud of me for going this long without a drink. I asked the kids if they were happier now that we're off the booze, and they both told me they are. They're not scared; they're not uncertain; they're not wondering when their parents are going to start acting "weird". They don't miss the stupid drunken bickering my husband and I do.

That really hit me. I know I need to do this for myself, but they're counting on me, and so is my husband. When I got home and got the mail, I found a book I had ordered the other day, Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore. Talk about a sign!!! So I watered the plants, had a seltzer with lemon, made dinner, and forgot about drinking for today.

One day at a time. Some days are harder than others, but I don't need to look that far ahead. I've been telling myself that I can drink sometime, but just not today. And I plan on telling myself that every day.

I really commend your honesty! Just because we may feel like doing something, doesn't mean it's best for us...

Good for you for making healthier choices
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Having alcohol at home is a really bad idea if you want to maintain your sobriety. Cravings can be intense sometimes and the last thing you want is instant gratification within reach.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
Congratulations Celticgirl.

It really is that simple, when the cravings hit - and they will continue to do so in the months to come (less and less frequently, fortunately) - there are a thousand things you can do and only one that you cannot: just don't pick up a drink. Cravings usually only last 5 or 10 minutes and then they pass. In the meantime, go for a walk, call a friend, read a book, sing, dance, shout, exercise, sleep, anything but drink. Do that enough and it will become second nature. And eventually not drinking will become your new "normal", even in circumstances that used to lead to drinking.

Keep up the good work. As to being able to drink sometime, so long as that day is not today, it's all good.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This meant a lot to me. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go Celticgirl! HUGE KUDOS!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Each time you get through one of those incidents, it will make it easier for the next time.

Enjoy your book!