Notices

Wine

Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I remember sharing a bottle of wine with a bf on a regular basis 20 years ago. Fast forward 20 years the concept makes me laugh-sharing a bottle of wine. No way, I'll drink it all. Then open another. It progresses. I was up to 2 a night too when I quit 9 months ago.

Welcome to SR
Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Have been drunk every night for almost 29 years, retired working mom, have still working husband, one child, we built a family from troubled families, beautiful home, daughter had a horse, went to college, has her own business now. I am sitting here wondering how I did all of this and how do I engage with life in a better way for myself.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pyke, I was at two bottles of wine too. My problem was once a started, I couldn't stop till I passed out. My ex husband and I would drink every night together. I think that ultimately ruined our marriage. Though I've been divorced 2 1/2 years, I kept drinking. I knew I had a problem the whole time. I've only been sober for 3 days. Doesn't sound like a lot but it is for me. I don't sleep well, but everyone here has told me that will pass. The people here are great and very supportive. Remember that you are not alone and that we are all here to help you get through this. Take it one day at a time. Hope that helps
Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was up to drinking a 5 liter box of white Zinfandel wine every 2 days. I switched to wine 3 years ago because I couldn't drink beer anymore as it was much higher in prurines and causing horrible gout attacks. I quit by tapering--not recommended for everyone--and have been sober for forty days.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you. In the past for a time I drank two glasses of wine per day when losing weight, I lost 30 pounds in 2007. Then in 2008 I had surgery and did not drink for 6 weeks during recovery. Now somehow I am back to where I was previous to those stages. I am going to try to quit, starting today.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Pyke. Another one here who can chime in with the two bottles a night, although I had only recently discovered my new ability to down that much. You can quit, others have and we're all trying with you xx
Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks, for so long I felt I was alone in this, the only one in this predicament, it really helps to have support and understanding.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

And....another 2+ bottle of wine/night drinker here.

I read somewhere how true drunks whittle their choice of poison down as they run deeper into the throes of their addictions. I know I ended up with two bottles of white + maybe a 3rd (add in a nip or two of vodka on the walk home from the liquor store). Ugh what a life. And yet it calls to me from time to time.

Stay strong.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I could easily do the two bottles a day--but not indefinately. Mostly I could go for 5 or 6 days before it finally overwhelmed me---like embalming fluid. It really felt and looked like death. One morning, at 5:30 A.M. I begged my lovely wife to go to the grocery store and buy 2 more bottles so that I could stave off the consequences of the day before----Words fail me.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Definitely not the only one. That was me too. And, I too fancied myself a wine snob. But, like ptcapote. I wasn't so much of a wine snob as a drunk. I'm new here too but can tell you, you've come to a great place here at SR
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Have been drunk every night for almost 29 years, retired working mom, have still working husband, one child, we built a family from troubled families, beautiful home, daughter had a horse, went to college, has her own business now. I am sitting here wondering how I did all of this and how do I engage with life in a better way for myself.
This brought tears to my eyes. The sense of loss you have spoken in so few words.

Know that you can begin now on a journey to sobriety and that the rewards will make up for that emptiness. Your relationship with yourself will heal and your relationship with others will take on new dimensions.

Welcome. Please read and post and keep us apprised of your progress. This is a great community.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I remember sharing a bottle of wine with a bf on a regular basis 20 years ago. Fast forward 20 years the concept makes me laugh-sharing a bottle of wine. No way, I'll drink it all. Then open another. It progresses. I was up to 2 a night too when I quit 9 months ago.

Welcome to SR
The only time I would even consider sharing a bottle was at lunchtime at work. Other than that, the thought of sharing a bottle would have left me panic stricken.

Yet years before, you'd have been lucky to talk me into even 1 drink on a weekend.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

another 2-3 bottles of wine a day chick here.

at least, i used to be. i've been sober over three months now.

it CAN be done... you are clearly not alone, pyke. and the coolest thing is that you don't need to be alone in recovery, either!

sending you my best thoughts...