Notices

what would you consider a relapse ?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
p***enger

Seems like a lot of people on this thread would consider that I have relapsed twice in the last 8 months:

Once I lifted a bottle of scotch to my lips twice before I poured the bottle out. The liquor didn't touch my tongue. (This was not to drink, but to remember my dead parents. Long story.)

Once I put a sip of vodka in my mouth and spat it out.

I don't consider these relapses because they haven't led me back into any further behavior or physical/mental symptoms like I had when I was actively abusing.

I also sometimes use mouthwash with alcohol in it, and I've enjoyed the smell of other people's wine or beer, once or twice.

Maybe I'm playing with fire. But I think I'll know a relapse if I ever experience it. I'm going to tell my sponsor about it though, because I'm curious as to what she'll say.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crackerboy View Post

You can make your own rules all you want, but you can't change the science. All mood-altering substances work on the same parts of the brain, and it doesn't really care what you stimulate it with. If you are addicted, you will not begin to recover until you are abstinent.

The brain makes changes to accommodate the presence of high levels of stimulation. When we're abstinent, we "jones" for our drugs until the brain begins to repair itself. The repairs take months. Using during that period will stop the recovery process. Using afterward is likely to cause a return of the addiction.

This isn't opinion. It is the opinion of the vast majority of addiction professionals and addiction scientists.
Well I'm not a scientist lol I was just saying it how I saw it as my opinion as asked for by the poster - but I appreciate the fact that you've cleared this up for me as a scientist. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sgs

I am day 16 and doing well today. I have taken alcohic communion wine the last 2 sundays and did not return to my pew with alcohol cravings--to me it has been a ritual not drinking in my life. I do not play to intentionally drink any other alcohol, but am not paranoid about alcohol in food etc--am I asking for trouble???
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I abused non alcoholic cough medicine 8 months ago, no alcohol in it. I changed my date.

I was trying to catch a buzz, old behaviors that I can't let slide by. I have to give them some consequences and draw the line somewhere.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am sure that I could drink one beer and stop at that. But it would make my life a lot more difficult afterwards, I would be saying to myself – you could control it last time – two will not hurt you.

It is in reality not the substance that is the problem in this – not for me at least.

If you have an addictive mind ( as mine at least) it is much easier if it is a clear cut – I am not playing with this at all.

I do not use wine in cooking – I do not think the food will give me problems, playing at the boarder would.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
p***enger

I talked to my sponsor about this. She compared what I did (with the sip I didn't swallow, not the thing with my mother's liquor) to "playing chicken." We agree that it's not a smart idea, and not safe, and I have no intention of doing it again. But we agreed I haven't relapsed.

I respect anyone who would look at it differently. But as far as I'm concerned, my thinking isn't always sober, but my body is.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I talked to my sponsor about this. She compared what I did (with the sip I didn't swallow, not the thing with my mother's liquor) to "playing chicken." We agree that it's not a smart idea, and not safe, and I have no intention of doing it again. But we agreed I haven't relapsed.

I respect anyone who would look at it differently. But as far as I'm concerned, my thinking isn't always sober, but my body is.
Good stuff courage. Thank you for sharing your experience!