Notices

Newcomer looking for advice

Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer looking for advice

Hi I am new here and is looking for advice about my drinking problem.

It started 2 years ago just for fun. Back then it was once a week binge drinking on a Friday night or Saturday. I was doing it to feel the buzz, since Friday night I'm already on a high mood coming home from work I wanted to make that even better. Even though I binge drink, I don't want the headaches in the morning. So I binge drink 4-8 shots in like 2-3 hours then let that wear off to almost nothing by the time I sleep. I also like to try different experiments when i'm drunk just to see how the buzz affect how I think and what I do (obviously nothing dangerous like driving). For the most part I don't drink to drown my problems, it's more to stimulate me. IE I'm shy/quiet so sometimes I'd drink to make it easier to be more confident in conversations and stuff.

Always thought I'd stop after I get bored of of it, didn't happen of course. The last half a year my drinking has increased. I feel I'm starting to get a mental dependency on it. When I see alcohol on tv I get really tempted. Game of Thrones is a great show but it's horrid on my self-control for drinking. I'd find myself not even thinking about alcohol before the episode, and downing shots after.

Two months ago I started feel something on the left side of my stomach below the rib cage. After some research I realized I was feeling my Pancreas. It's not in pain or anything but I can feel it, kind of like how you can feel your stomach growling when it's empty. Then the research taught me that continuous drinking can cause Pancreatitis. That should have been my red alert to stop and it did slow things down for me for a bit. But what happens now for me is that I would stop whenever I feel my Pancreas, and start drinking again when I don't feel it anymore. Now my frequency has increased to ever 2 or 3 days in the past 2 weeks, which is really alarming to me. Just because I don't feel my Pancreas probably doesn't mean it's not being damaged. But unfortunately when I think about alcohol the temptation is much stronger than it used to be.

At this point I've come to terms that simply saying "I'll stop" or "I wouldn't drink until X day" isn't gonna work anymore. I consider myself as a person who is showing early addictive symptoms. I don't think I'm at the point where I need to see a theorist or a recovery program yet. But I would like to ask advise on anything I myself can do.

Does anyone have any advise for someone in my situation? Thank you in advance.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR Basically, if you think you have a problem, then chances are you have and it's all downhill - very slippery slope too.
I would bail out while you can
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soichiro18 View Post
Hi I am new here and is looking for advice about my drinking problem.

It started 2 years ago just for fun. Back then it was once a week binge drinking on a Friday night or Saturday. I was doing it to feel the buzz, since Friday night I'm already on a high mood coming home from work I wanted to make that even better. Even though I binge drink, I don't want the headaches in the morning. So I binge drink 4-8 shots in like 2-3 hours then let that wear off to almost nothing by the time I sleep. I also like to try different experiments when i'm drunk just to see how the buzz affect how I think and what I do (obviously nothing dangerous like driving). For the most part I don't drink to drown my problems, it's more to stimulate me. IE I'm shy/quiet so sometimes I'd drink to make it easier to be more confident in conversations and stuff.

Always thought I'd stop after I get bored of of it, didn't happen of course. The last half a year my drinking has increased. I feel I'm starting to get a mental dependency on it. When I see alcohol on tv I get really tempted. Game of Thrones is a great show but it's horrid on my self-control for drinking. I'd find myself not even thinking about alcohol before the episode, and downing shots after.

Two months ago I started feel something on the left side of my stomach below the rib cage. After some research I realized I was feeling my Pancreas. It's not in pain or anything but I can feel it, kind of like how you can feel your stomach growling when it's empty. Then the research taught me that continuous drinking can cause Pancreatitis. That should have been my red alert to stop and it did slow things down for me for a bit. But what happens now for me is that I would stop whenever I feel my Pancreas, and start drinking again when I don't feel it anymore. Now my frequency has increased to ever 2 or 3 days in the past 2 weeks, which is really alarming to me. Just because I don't feel my Pancreas probably doesn't mean it's not being damaged. But unfortunately when I think about alcohol the temptation is much stronger than it used to be.

At this point I've come to terms that simply saying "I'll stop" or "I wouldn't drink until X day" isn't gonna work anymore. I consider myself as a person who is showing early addictive symptoms. I don't think I'm at the point where I need to see a theorist or a recovery program yet. But I would like to ask advise on anything I myself can do.

Does anyone have any advise for someone in my situation? Thank you in advance.
Your story sounds similar to me in so many ways. I'm a shy person, cripplingly shy. I started off social then graduated to drinking alone. In the same way I told myself I'd quit after Christmas, then after my birthday, then once I had less work, until 3 years had gone by. The bad news is this will likely happen to you too, the good news is you can quit now, as in right now. Don't listen to that voice that says "well another day wont hurt" because that will lead you down a dark path. We are not supposed to give medical advice on here so I wont, just go see your doctor, get it ruled out and you can move on. Do not use medical anxiety as a reason to drink, that's also something I did.

I'm on Day 3 and have just started to feel normal again, but it's hard. I can't imagine how hard it must be for people who have habits lasting 10-15 years and I don't want to find out what that is like.

If you have an addictive personality, then you can't drink in moderation in my opinion. If your friends all drink, or you struggle to talk to people without drink, that's probably because they are boring and you just need to find cooler people to hang out with =)

Best of luck mate.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jules

I think if you think you have a problem and are concerned enough to come post here, then you probably do have a drinking problem. Our minds and bodies give us warning signs long before we are willing to listen. I realized when I was 25 that I had a drinking problem, it took until I was 33 to admit I'm an alcoholic and all my attempts to control and moderate just never worked. And never would work, I just can't drink like a normal person......I've tried too much and failed too often.

Its good your reaching out and you recognize the problem. Self-awareness is a good step. There's a lot of books you can read, there is a thread here that lists them. I know you said your not interested in a program but reading the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous might be a big help. When I read it I was amazed, it seems like they wrote the book about me, the different personality traits, thoughts processes etc that alcoholics have. I also kept a journal for awhile to be able to write down what was happening in life and how I was feeling and see how that relates to drinking. Get more exercise, find new hobbies, the is all kinds of stuff you can do.

Please, please, please think about it. Sometimes we are doing more damage then we think and you don't want to go 10 or 20 years fighting this thing, its better if you stop it before it gets to bad. Best wishes!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are continuing to drink even though you know you should stop and want to stop, it's a problem. If you are continuing to drink in the face of health issues, it's a problem. And, remember that alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will worsen unless you stop drinking.

Take a look around SR and read and be inspired.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the best advice i can give before its too late.

STOP DRINKING NOW

i know, i know, sounds simple and boring but save yourself what I went thru (and most of us here)
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations on seeing you perhaps have a serious health issue for which I would recommend seeing your doctor about. You probably realize alcohol is not considered part of a health diet and is a toxic hazard affecting many organs in a very unhealthy way. Great for you to discover this problem early in life. BE WELL
Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soichiro18 View Post
Sounds like you figured out that moderation isn't going to cut it. Good for you in realizing this before you lose years you can't get back.

What's wrong with a recovery program? How about a recovery forum? Hang out here and make some new cyber-friends who share your goal.

Welcome!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No half measures

What would be the downside of seeing a professional or seeking out a recovery group?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all kindly for your advice. I will check the "Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous" out and search around the forum more to find things that can help me.

@wakko, there's nothing wrong with a recovery program. I just don't want to put down the cash for it yet. It's kind of like AlefVavResh says, I'll try a recovery forum to see if it can help me first (frankly talking to people who understands about it is somewhat like talking to a therapist, just cost a lot less ).
Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Been reading some of these posts. If one's to quit, does the anxiety symptoms show up usually a few days later or longer? or does that also depends on long one's been drinking? I've never took a break longer than 2 weeks since i started drinking. Not because my craving was unbearable but because I didn't intend to quit at the time.

I just read cravings that cause relapse starts at 6 and 12 weeks in another post.