Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

New member wanting help and advice on effective treatment solution

Notices

New member wanting help and advice on effective treatment solution

Old 08-31-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

As a non-believer I found that doing a bit of reasearch on addiction science helped me. The Physiological Basis of Addiction &
Understanding how to Defeat Urges and Cravings
From SOS.org is a good quick overview of the addiction process.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2898097

Its taken me a good wile to understand and practice an AA 12 Step program as a person of non-faith. Like AA member Jimmy B, my first Higher Power was Ethyl (alcohol). Then a Group Of Drunks became a beneficial HP (Helping People). I see God and Good are the same, to be found within all. Meditation has become great practice for centering myself and bringing about a calm mind.

A good model for recovery is; Put together a *Plan to Practice, be Persistent and have Patience (*The 4Ps).
Be Well.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you to all who have responded to my first post. One thing I now know for sure is that I want my precious sobriety back. For the first time last night didn't drink last night (not with the intention of 'having a night off' so that I can drink tonight). It felt wonderful to go to bed last night feeling 'clean' and very 'relaxed' and wake up this morning not feeling 'poisoned'.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome Bagdad,

I don't know if your drinking is a problem or not, only you can make that determination.
Your email made me think of my Mother, a functional alcoholic for much of her life. She also was severely ADD, and a workaholic who started and ran her own successful company. Like you, she was often bored. Anything that did not involve work was just not interesting to her. She loathed "hobbies" and looked at my sister and I, always busy with some project or another, like we were crazy. Drinking in the evening was the only thing that she ever cared to do, unless it was an activity that involved drinking. She developed high blood pressure in her fifties, almost certainly as a result of her drinking.

Now, at 77, my Mother has vascular dementia, a common result of high blood pressure. She has to live with my sister, and several alternating caretakers. She wanders around all day, uneasy, anxious, "bored". Despite the dementia, she still has no use for hobbies or interests of any kind - pointless. Gardening, painting, reading - she sees nothing of value with any of it. I try to involve her in something to take up her time, a puzzle, drawing..."Why are we doing this?" she always asks, scoffing. It's so sad. All of those years tied to work and bored by anything else but drinking to relieve the tedium of the evening until it was morning and she could work again. Oh, and drinking? She never believed she had a problem, nor did she ever attempt to stop. She would still be drinking today, but we give her non alcoholic wine, which she thinks is real, and she drinks it all day long. Thank God for that, or she would really be "bored".

I'm glad you came to this site, and I don't want you to think that you have the same problem she did, there were just some similarities that reminded me of her. Honestly, I don't think she was all that bored by everything. I think she just preferred drinking. I wish that she could have found something, anything to interest her. There are so many wonderful, interesting things in this world to learn about and experience, so much to see and feel and do. I don't know how to explain it so that you would be interested...I had absolutely no luck with my Mom. I just believe that, when you reach the end of this life, there should be something other than work and drinking that you can look back on with fondness, happy that you were able to spend at least a portion of your time doing something that you truly loved.