Notices

AA Meetings

Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post

Try to realize that AAs been active over 75 years and has been a part of getting millionS on the road to sobriety. So it should change because SOME people don't like something? I'm sorry I never felt that important. In the old days we were told to just listen at least until that wonderful toxic fluid we pumped in was out of our system and our brains started to rebuild to say something sane. Most old timers were tougher, with love, than that. Good for your consideration on attending more meetings. My salvation was to hear people say "KEEP COMING AND DON'T DRINK ONE DAY AT A TIME" BE WELL

I don't quite appreciate your tone! Maybe you should re read my post I said I wasn't sure it was helpful for ME and MY recovery. And to be quite honest I AM bloody important - the same as we ALL are but I wasn't suggesting for one second that AA should change so yeah.... Think I've made my point. Read properly then engage your brain.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dano1975 View Post
So you didn't like that meeting, try another, and another.. AA works, thats why it's been around so long. Did you think getting sober wouldn't be hard work? There's no magic pill for happy sobriety. I've been to meetings that were just ok and others that were life changing. If you see one bad movie do you swear off theaters for life?

And also nowhere did I mention a quick 'happy sobriety' or easy - the word wasn't even said! Go jump down someone else's throat. Like I said, I was thinking out loud - I wanted some opinions to help me as I wasn't dismissing it after one meeting and was going to try some more. So in Answer to your question no I don't swear off theatres for life after one bad movie. I do what most people would do and ask for an opinion on what they thinks good.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Maybe I was just unlucky with AA meetings, but I spent most of my time refusing to give men my phone number!!
Good for you! They are referred to as 13 steppers and are not highly regarded. For this reason men stick with men, women with women. BE WELL
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Ah, but I've had 4 years of 'dress rehearsals' - this isn't so new to me
Previously I only made 7-10 days, so all's good and if I can be sober today of all days, then I'm in with a chance yeah?

PS Plus, I've just re-opened my animal rescue - first two cats coming in Monday, so I'm finally back to being the 'real me' again x
Well done Zoe - no rain cloud of doom here it's good your going to have an extra focus with the cats! Exciting!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There's a saying in AA..'take what you need and leave the rest'. It's quite a selfish saying in a way but it can be helpful.
Why are so many alcoholics cat lovers? Someone ought to do a study
Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to it I'm really more of a dog person, but anything with fur and eyes I fall in love with lol
Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
I don't quite appreciate your tone! Maybe you should re read my post I said I wasn't sure it was helpful for ME and MY recovery. And to be quite honest I AM bloody important - the same as we ALL are but I wasn't suggesting for one second that AA should change so yeah.... Think I've made my point. Read properly then engage your brain.
Where does it refer that your not important? I was referring to my ego basically. There are a lot of things I didn't like when I first attended and I was told that if I didn't like the results my misery is refundable! I was among the millions that got sober, once the determents of overindulging started to clear up, for many years and you may also. I know how sensitive newly sober people are but try not thinking whatever is posted is about you. My brain may not be the sharpest however it's been alcohol free 30+ years one day at a time. BE WELL
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

13, Welcome to sobriety!

I also found/find that listening to "drunkaloges" as they are called didn't help me. Sometimes it made me want to drink. Sometimes it made me think "well, I'm not like that...maybe I'm in the wrong place."

There are meetings that focus on Step Study, Big Book study, basically that stay in the solution, and discussion is focused on the program rather than sharing and swapping our personal issues. I found those more useful, they kept me on tract and showed me what the program was...so I could find out if I idenitfied with the program and if it was what I needed.

I'm with you as far as sharing personal issues with a roomful of strangers. I was there for recovery from alcoholism and that was all I chose to speak about. Where I worked, my relationship issues etc I didn't go into. I really did not want to talk at all about any relationship or sexual issues in the room because, the reality was that some of the men were predatory. (woman most likely to, but they didn't seem interested in me).

In my experience, the people who attended the Step Study and Big Book meetings were more focused on recovery, and there was less flirting etc before and after the meetings.

I myself have a tendency to flirt, gossip, etc so it was important for ME to stick in an atmosphere where that was not encouraged. It's an issue I have had to learn to set self will aside. A more formal program helped me do that.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

13 I'm sorry some people here seem to see only negatives in your post, when you are obviously seeking advice. It takes courage to post a thread here, I hope the reactions of some do not dissuade you from continuing on SR.

I personally never went down the AA route, and am coming up six months ( whoop-de-do I imagine some here might say). I would certainly suggest you try another couple of meetings, different ones, to see if you get more out of them, as one previous post says, take what you want from it. If AA is not the way for you to recover, don't worry, there are other ways. I wish you all the best, and keep posting. Welcome to SR